Instantly delete email threats with 365 Threat Monitor » Free Offer
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Video Beating Stokes Debate Over Fame, Violence

Re: Video Beating Stokes Debate Over Fame, Violence
Posted by: Katherine Noyes 2008-04-11 09:56:17
See Full Story

For the eight Florida teens accused of imprisoning, beating and videotaping 16-year-old Victoria Lindsay as they brutalized her for more than half an hour, the events of March 30 have led to kidnapping and battery charges that cast a dark shadow over their future. For the rest of the world, the case has shone a bright light on the negative potential of the Internet. The case has attracted media attention far and wide and has caused many to ask difficult questions about how the beating could have happened, what went wrong in this group of children, and what role the technology played.

searching for fights....
Posted by: parryaftab 2008-04-11 12:49:15 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
It is not usually hard to find the fights, Katherine. Visit youtube.com and put in "girls fights" or "girl fights" in quotes. My search brought up lots of responses.
As always, a good article.
Parry Aftab

girl fight??
Posted by: mickbrady 2008-04-14 09:03:55 In reply to: parryaftab
I checked YouTube using "girl fights" as suggested but did not find anything remotely similar to the Polk Co. case. Sure, there are "lots of responses" to those keywords, but in the article you say this type of case is "so common that I'm surprised there's all this noise about it." Two girls tangling in a schoolyard is not at all the same as eight youths ganging up on a victim in a premeditated and sustained attack. That wasn't a "girl fight." Let's keep the discussion real.

Hmmm..
Posted by: mrk 2008-04-11 10:51:53 In reply to: Katherine Noyes
Last line of the article makes a grand statement about how the this case victimizes her for all time since she will always be known as the girl who took this awful beating, yet the 1st paragraph explicitely gives her full name. Clearly the *journalist* doesn't care one whit about her. Hypocritical? I think so.

No Hypocrisy
Posted by: just4kicks 2008-04-11 11:36:18 In reply to: mrk
Hypocritical? I don't think so. The victim's name has been widely reported across all media. The journalist is just doing her job by reporting the facts. The last line of the article which you are referring to is a quote from Larry Magid, one of the reporter's sources for commentary on the event. There is no hypocrisy here.
Jump to:
How important is social media to the success of your business?
Highly -- Social media is essential to our business model.
Somewhat -- We do see benefit from social media, but without it our operations would continue.
Minimally -- We're on social media because that's expected, though it's influence on our success is negligible.
Not at All -- Social media is not useful to our business.