Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Service Providers Throw Weight Behind WiMax

Re: Service Providers Throw Weight Behind WiMax
Posted by: Paul Korzeniowski 2006-09-22 10:23:42
See Full Story

The drumbeat of support for WiMax products has begun to sound a bit more loudly. In August, Sprint Nextel became the largest domestic telecom carrier to throw its weight behind the next-generation wireless option. "The Sprint endorsement was a bit of a surprise because the company had other options for adding high-speed features to its cellular network," said Craig Mathias, principal at market research firm Farpoint Group.

Re: Service Providers Throw Weight Behind WiMax
Posted by: dcarlson 2006-09-22 10:32:16 In reply to: Paul Korzeniowski
I'm always surprised to see WiFi and WiMAX compared, as if they are competitive technologies. While that might be the case in remote circumstances, wouldn't you say they are at best complementary technologies? WiMAX solves problems like attenuation (my local wireless broadband provider cannot get signal to my house because of LOS issues and building attenuation). Let's say they upgraded the network with WiMAX to extend the network; if the signal came to a CPE (outdoor or indoor) posted in or near my office, I'd still use WiFi to network the rest of the computers throughout the house. Seems confusing to juxtapose the technologies.
Jump to:
What is the greatest challenge to organizations implementing Artificial Intelligence?
A shortage of talent with the skills to utilize AI to its full potential.
AI can be expensive and the return on investment is questionable to decision makers.
AI is an unfamiliar and complex technology that is not yet fully trusted.
AI has its own set of cybersecurity concerns which require additional resources.
Dependability of AI technology is still in doubt.
Many view AI as an unnecessary luxury.