Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Salesforce Industries Summit
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Macrovision Aims To Stop DVD Rippers

Re: Macrovision Aims To Stop DVD Rippers
Posted by: John P. Mello Jr. 2005-02-15 09:29:28
See Full Story

Macrovision, the company whose name became a synonym for copy-protection of VHS movies, today announced a technology to thwart rippers of DVDs. The technology, called RipGuard DVD, is the first product to be verified through a new program offered by THX, a San Rafael, California, provider of quality assurance services for the entertainment industry. "We have come up with a format-based technology that uses a unique digital
framework per title, and it stops these rippers cold," Adam Gervin of Macrovision said.

Posted by: bodhisoma 2005-02-15 10:14:53 In reply to: John P. Mello Jr.
When are you people going to learn that if you can read it, you can copy it?
When are you people going to learn that encryption is not copy protection, it's read protection? I can leave an encrypted message on typing paper on my desk, it stops nobody from making a copy, but it does stop someone from reading it. Which brings me back to my first point.
And when are you people going to figure out the very obvious fact that it only takes one guy to rip a movie. The article states that the product is 97% effective. Great. One of those three-percenters rips the file and posts it. Nobody else needs to rip it, just that one guy. So 97% effective is 3% short of being effective at all.
Regards,
Jason

Posted by: spin 2005-02-16 10:20:39 In reply to: bodhisoma
i totally agree with "bodhisoma".
you can't keep people from ripping, it is not possible as long as it is readable. if someone wrote the encryption algorythm, someone else can figure it out. Studios has enjoyed above average returns for too long, most of it is due to implicit collusion practices inside MPAA or whatever.
It is time to learn a new business model, people.
Jump to:
When considering a new smartwatch, which feature set is most important to you?
Alerts and Notifications
Calls and Messaging
Clock and Time Tracking
Contactless Payments and Banking
Design and Personalization
GPS and Maps
Health and Fitness
Music and Video