Get the ECT News Network Editor's Pick Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Microsoft Replays Monopoly Games

Re: Microsoft Replays Monopoly Games
Posted by: Stephen Lynch 2004-10-19 05:45:53
See Full Story

This week's release of a new media-focused version of Windows shows that, despite five years of antitrust battles, Microsoft plans to use its near-monopoly power to crush its rivals. In fact, the software giant is planning a range of "bundled" products in forthcoming versions of its ubiquitous operating system, sources said, each targeting competitors like Google, AOL, Apple, even TiVo.

Re: Microsoft Replays Monopoly Games
Posted by: piebald 2004-10-19 10:34:17 In reply to: Stephen Lynch
First, just a typo correction: Sun settled for $1.6 BILLION, plus a juicy cross-licensing agreement promising hundreds of millions more.
Regarding Mr. Lande's opinion that "If the Republicans win the election, there's not a chance [Microsoft]'ll be sued for anything. It's simply a question of philosophy." The DOJ gave MS a pass at a time when breaking them up might have caused major economic calamaties around the world. The stock market crash was already creating an economic downward spiral at the time, and if Mighty Microsoft's stock price had tanked, more wind would have been let out of the sails -- with capsizing not out of the question.
Microsoft has proven resistant to adhering to the few concessions required by the settlement. A private lawsuit ( http://www.pbs.org/cringely/links/burstbrief_1.pdf ) has just turned up new evidence that Microsoft may have wilfully witheld evidence specifically requested by DOJ numerous times (and, under oath, lied about it). If that allegation bears out, it would be strong grounds for the DOJ to reopen the case, and even a Republican administration might be persuaded not to hinder it in the face of such atrocious disregard for the law. The world economy is much more robust now...
Jump to:
Given the spread of the Covid-19 Delta variant, if my employer requires me to return to the company's location in 2021, I will...
Agree because I'm fully vaccinated.
Agree if the company institutes a mandatory mask requirement and other safety protocols.
Comply reluctantly, because I can't afford to lose my job, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job I feel is safer.
Resign because I'm not vaccinated and don't want to risk infection to myself or others.