Instantly delete email threats for Office 365 » Free Offer
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Deliver winning CX every time
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: The EU's Cure for the E-Waste Epidemic

Re: The EU's Cure for the E-Waste Epidemic
Posted by: Rob Enderle 2021-03-15 05:00:13
See Full Story

Globally, we throw out 50 million tons of electronics waste every year, which is the equivalent of 1,000 laptops every second. This month the EU addressed this problem with a comprehensive "right to repair" law to dramatically reduce this waste. Let's explore electrical hardware sustainability issues this week, and look at a laptop that seems to anticipate these new e-waste regulations.

Posted by: Heriston 2021-03-30 17:24:18 In reply to: Rob Enderle
The waste problem is one of the biggest problems in the world, and it now needs to be addressed as the biggest problem for humanity.

Posted by: gustavowoltmann 2021-03-28 14:15:45 In reply to: Rob Enderle
Very interesting! I learned a lot. - Gustavo Woltmann

Posted by: Belfry777 2021-03-15 12:43:28 In reply to: Rob Enderle
I have a Toshiba laptop from 2007 that works and runs, even though I took it apart many times and upgraded the operating system; I still find myself using it. What we have today is a lack of pride in workmanship and a mentaity of disposalism. In times past, American manufactures would stand by their product, issuing life time warranties which were extremely common. Today, most warranties for a product are just a year, meaning that manufacturers don't believe in what they are producing, or that it will last long. Things that last long don't need to be replaced, in the same way things that can be fixed don't need to be repurchased. But since it is not monetarily rewarding to make things that last or are serviceable, we live in a world where everything is "disposable". particularly in the field of technology, where the "new" is often over-glorified and exchanged at the expense of "old" fine working technology. If the mentalities of "out with the old and in with the new" and "disposalism" can be replaced with ideal of "longevity", I think that we would all be in a better place.

Posted by: borisaman 2021-03-15 05:01:51 In reply to: Rob Enderle
Dont buy anything new, really help the planet. Of course, global warming is a lie, just like this scamdemic right now, but why just keep buying new crap to help disgusting parasite share holders and bankers with rubbish technology that is designed to break and spy on you. Keep the older tech going
Jump to:
How important is social media to the success of your business?
Highly -- Social media is essential to our business model.
Somewhat -- We do see benefit from social media, but without it our operations would continue.
Minimally -- We're on social media because that's expected, though it's influence on our success is negligible.
Not at All -- Social media is not useful to our business.