Get the ECT News Network Weekly Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Hackers Blast Emergency Sirens in Dallas

Re: Hackers Blast Emergency Sirens in Dallas
Posted by: John P. Mello Jr. 2017-04-11 09:36:33
See Full Story

Screaming sirens serenaded Dallas residents in the early morning hours Saturday after a cyberattack set off the city's emergency warning system. All of the city's 156 sirens reportedly were set off more than a dozen times. Officials have not yet identified the perpetrator of the attack, the city's Office of Emergency Management Director Rocky Vaz said, but he expressed confidence that it was someone outside the Dallas area. The city has figured out how the system was compromised and has begun working to keep it from happening again.

Re: Hackers Blast Emergency Sirens in Dallas
Posted by: jescott418 2017-04-11 10:13:11 In reply to: John P. Mello Jr.
I found it interesting that on a Slashdot post where I first read this. More comments were about the system not being protected than finding the deviants who hacked it. Kind of like blaming the rape victim for being in the wrong place and not being able to protect herself than the rapists who purposely attacked her. What kind of society has made excuses for behavior on the grounds the victim was unprepared? Its sad we have here obviously intelligent person or persons who hacked this civil siren system. But fail because this is all they think to apply their skills for. I agree with the city, this puts people at risk, it deafens the response people have to these sirens. Besides providing little in response from the public about punishing whoever did this as a real crime. Sadly now the deviants of the world can do damage without ever leaving their moms basement. No they don't have to risk life and limb painting a train car, subway platform or water tower. They can use their PC's to wreck havoc without ever leaving home.
Jump to:
When considering the credibility of an article I read online, I am most influenced by...
The organization or operator of the website that published the article
The journalist(s) who wrote the article
The sources quoted in the article
The quality or style of the writing
The individual(s) who brought the article to my attention
Whether the article has myriad shares or social media activity
My own knowledge or intuition