Get the ECT News Network Weekly Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Online Freedom of Speech May Be in Peril: Pew

Re: Online Freedom of Speech May Be in Peril: Pew
Posted by: Richard Adhikari 2017-03-31 06:01:58
See Full Story

Trolling, cyberbullying, harassment and just plain nastiness have become commonplace online, and this situation is likely to remain unchanged or worsen over the next decade, suggests a report the Pew Research Center released Wednesday. Pew and Elon University last summer polled more than 1,500 technology experts, academics, and business and government leaders on the future of free speech online. Forty-two percent of the survey respondents expected future online interactions to be about the same as they are today.

Re: Online Freedom of Speech May Be in Peril: Pew
Posted by: jescott418 2017-03-31 06:11:50 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
People have ways to address these concerns but they look to government to control them. You can block people on social sites, report them, ignore them and yet many people who are the victims continue to endure the events. The biggest way to stop bullies is to not allow them to affect you. They should also not affect our freedom's of speech and expression. We don't want a broad stroke of correctness played out by a entity or government. Free speech is what separates us from a China or North Korea. I think addressing issues on a more local level is far better then entrusting a blanket approach to it. Yes, I totally agree, people online have used the web as a pulpit for this nastiness. But as with anything people can reject it, and deal with it without having to sacrifice our freedom of expression and speech.
Jump to:
Would you license your personal data to advertising platforms if you were paid directly for it?
Yes -- So much of my personal data is already in the hands of advertisers anyhow; I may as well be paid for it.
Possibly -- It depends how much I would be compensated and how the data I authorize to share would be used and protected.
No -- I would not sell my personal data at any price.