Get the E-Commerce Minute Newsletter from the E-Commerce Times » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: USB-C Port, Curved Display Top Latest iPhone Rumor List

Re: USB-C Port, Curved Display Top Latest iPhone Rumor List
Posted by: John P. Mello Jr. 2017-03-01 17:21:45
See Full Story

Apple poked a hornet's nest when it removed the standard headphone jack from the iPhone 7. It may do it again by replacing the Lightning port with USB-C in the next iPhone. The Lightning port, introduced in 2012, is used to charge and connect accessories to the iPhone, but Apple reportedly plans to swap it for USB-C, which the company has been introducing into its computer lines. "It would be a bold step for Apple, because it would mean Apple would be dependent on the advance of the USB-C standard," said IHS Markit Senior Director Ian Fogg.

Posted by: Oliver_Scott 2017-03-07 08:22:12 In reply to: John P. Mello Jr.
Apple conforming to the rest with a USB-c will undoubtedly cast them aside as a market leader in the industry which most already know that they are not but this will be a solid declaration that they are followers and not innovators any longer

Posted by: jescott418 2017-03-02 04:00:45 In reply to: John P. Mello Jr.
Apple makes changes for the benefit of Apple not its product users. Otherwise Apple would use standard connections not proprietary ones. Which have always been about making Apple a few bucks in licensing fee's to third party vendors. It's why a Apple cable costs a lot more than a comparable standard cable. If Apple did go to a USB C connection it would be to make using a iPhone and a Mac easier without a adapter. Lightning vs USB C isn't going to allow much if anything in reducing thickness of the iPhone itself. Apple to me is sort of confusing in its quest for things. While it neatens up a Mac with less ports it also creates a need for some to have adapters hanging off the sides. While Apple eliminated the audio jack it created yet another use for a adapter. I just do not see how this was a positive for many users? It obvious was a plus for Apple to sell its new Air Pods and Beats headphones. Maybe Apple will finally adopt some standards, but I highly doubt given how Apple likes to keep Apple happy and making money.
Jump to:
When considering the credibility of an article I read online, I am most influenced by...
The organization or operator of the website that published the article
The journalist(s) who wrote the article
The sources quoted in the article
The quality or style of the writing
The individual(s) who brought the article to my attention
Whether the article has myriad shares or social media activity
My own knowledge or intuition