A Brand's Guide to Digital Shelf Analytics | Download the eBook Today!
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Mobile Devices Help Chart the Future of Marine Navigation

Re: Mobile Devices Help Chart the Future of Marine Navigation
Posted by: Vivian Wagner 2016-12-02 17:40:53
See Full Story

Daniel Collins, an avid sailor and sailing instructor, has traveled solo across the Gulf of Mexico and up the Eastern Seaboard of the U.S. to Nova Scotia, using only his iPhone and iPad for navigation. He's part of a new breed of boaters who use tablets and smartphones in addition to -- and sometimes in lieu of -- traditional onboard electronic navigation and chartplotting systems. "My experience is that the mobile devices these days, in particular Apple products, offer a balance of reliability, usefulness, and performance," Collins said.

Re: Mobile Devices Help Chart the Future of Marine Navigation
Posted by: lrak 2016-12-02 17:47:37 In reply to: Vivian Wagner
Excellent article on how consmer mobile devices are making their way into navigator's essential toolkits. Modern phones and tablets have become so powerful and reliable now that ENC charts are even available on web browsers. I remember a time when we used to pay a lot of $$$ for PCs and hardware for marine navigation.
Jump to:
When considering the credibility of an article I read online, I am most influenced by...
The organization or operator of the website that published the article
The journalist(s) who wrote the article
The sources quoted in the article
The quality or style of the writing
The individual(s) who brought the article to my attention
Whether the article has myriad shares or social media activity
My own knowledge or intuition