Get the E-Commerce Minute Newsletter from the E-Commerce Times » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Encrypted File Sharing: P2P Fights Back

Re: Encrypted File Sharing: P2P Fights Back
Posted by: Jack Germain 2004-05-27 07:50:17
See Full Story

Is it possible to end the investigations and prosecutions that the RIAA, the music download police and similar entities use to prosecute users of file-sharing networks? The answer depends, say online security experts, on which next-generation technology proves to be more successful. So far, enforcement investigators hold the upper hand. "Everybody now knows you can't download stuff for free," said Mark Ishikawa, CEO and founder of BayTSP, a leading security firm for the record industry.

Posted by: Baldmeistr 2004-05-29 08:26:41 In reply to: Jack Germain
The link in the article is broken: it links to myguido.com, rather than mygudio.com. (A rather understandable error; I read the whole article thinking it was a piece of software that was devoted to a large Italian man.) If you want to check the software out (8 day free trial before paying seventeen bucks for it), just type www.mygudio.com into your browser.

Posted by: obwez 2004-12-01 17:08:37 In reply to: Baldmeistr
"Encryption might be used between nodes in the delivery process, but public keys are available to investigators. So that's no solution for file swappers," said Ishikawa of BayTSP."
Incorrect. Just having the public key wont help. As demonstrated with WASTE, un-authorized users aka "BayTSP Employees" can't even connect to the network without exchanging keys with the servers admin.. I.E the admins takes the BayTSP key and the BayTSP takes the WASTE key. This bonding proccess is very unlikey to ever happen within the real underground WASTE P2P.
"Experts say it is quite common for investigators to trap encrypted files from peer-to-peer networks and determine the content."
Incorrect again. WASTE uses over 5 megs of encryption or some 5000 bits. It is slow at file tranfers correct, but I can assure you no BayTSB can defeat this PGP style encryption.

Encrypted File Sharing: Freenet
Posted by: flet 2004-05-27 07:55:34 In reply to: Jack Germain
The article did not mention the Freenet initiative. Freenet (http://freenet.sourceforge.net/) is "free software which lets you publish and obtain information on the Internet without fear of censorship".
It comes with file-sharing tools, like Frost, that perserve anonymity of the individuals and secrecy of the content.
Freenet is a noble initiative against censorship and terror campaigns from lobbies like RIAA.
Jump to:
Which review rating influences you most when researching a business?
5 Stars - I want to know what others found amazing.
4 Stars - I want to find out why it's liked for the most part, but not without faults.
3 Stars - I want to understand why the business is neither loved nor hated.
2 Stars - I want to learn why the weaknesses outweigh the strengths.
1 Star - I want to know why anybody says they are completely dissatisfied with the business.