Get the ECT News Network Weekly Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Bot Armies Boost Candidates' Popularity on Twitter

Re: Bot Armies Boost Candidates' Popularity on Twitter
Posted by: John P. Mello Jr. 2016-10-29 08:10:55
See Full Story

Internet bots have many useful online purposes, but they have a dark side, too, as three researchers demonstrated in their analysis of Twitter traffic during the first presidential debate between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump. Bots are used to automate functions on the Net. For example, if you belong to several social networks, you could use a bot to post a photo to all of them at once, saving the time of logging onto each network. What the researchers found was that bots also can be used to amplify support on Twitter.

Re: Bot Armies Boost Candidates' Popularity on Twitter
Posted by: tbouts 2017-04-01 07:49:34 In reply to: John P. Mello Jr.
I'm kinda surprised at myself, but my first reaction is I need to become proficient at using bots myself because they are just the current vehicle to being heard, to have power in the internet swarm of conversation. There definitely seems to be little chance that I could find a way to defeat or render meaningless the use of bots by others.
Sidenote: so, I noticed that the security events reference list after the article allowed attendance by those who registered (provide their email and trust). Yeah, really.
Jump to:
When considering the credibility of an article I read online, I am most influenced by...
The organization or operator of the website that published the article
The journalist(s) who wrote the article
The sources quoted in the article
The quality or style of the writing
The individual(s) who brought the article to my attention
Whether the article has myriad shares or social media activity
My own knowledge or intuition