Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Salesforce Industries Summit
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: All Systems Go for Andromeda

Re: All Systems Go for Andromeda
Posted by: Richard Adhikari 2016-10-11 12:35:24
See Full Story

Although Google didn't drop any new details on the progress of Andromeda at its big Pixel event, that doesn't suggest any tempering of enthusiasm for the new operating system. Andromeda reportedly is a mashup of Android and Chrome, with features from Chrome having been ported into Android rather than the other way around. It's expected to show up next year in a new laptop, dubbed "Pixel 3." The project is known internally as "Bison." Google also plans to launch a Huawei-manufactured Nexus tablet that will run Andromeda.

Posted by: GizmoChicken 2016-10-12 05:42:39 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
This article currently implies that "Google's current bid to bring Android apps to Chromebooks [relies on] the App Runtime for Chrome [ARC] project." Actually, no, Google’s current method for bringing Android apps to Chromebooks relies on Arc++, which works by an entirely different means, namely by running Android apps on Chrome OS using Linux containers.

See http://www.networkworld.com/article/3073254/hardware/android-apps-run-securely-on-chrome-os-in-linux-containers.html

See http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/05/the-play-store-comes-to-chrome-os-but-not-the-way-we-were-expecting/

See https://www.x.org/wiki/Events/XDC2016/Program/Arcpp_Graphics.pdf

Posted by: CajunMoses 2016-10-19 16:24:29 In reply to: GizmoChicken
The task manager simply says "ARC". So please correct Google, not the author.

Posted by: GizmoChicken 2016-10-20 16:52:23 In reply to: CajunMoses
You are missing the point. "Google's current bid to bring Android apps to Chromebooks" does NOT rely on "App Runtime for Chrome" (ARC), but instead relies on a newer, very different, technology that is not at all related to the ARC project. That newer technology is, confusingly, referred to as Arc++. See my previous post for more information.

Posted by: CajunMoses 2016-10-11 12:50:47 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
As far as I'm concerned, Android HAS been merged with Chrome OS. Any further merging would likely degrade the experience that Chrome OS provides to users. While I've seen a lot of completely uninformed fawning over and praise for Andromeda, I've yet to see an explanation of the advantages that Andromeda would supposedly provide that would make it superior to the current Chrome OS with built-in Play Store. It's easy to praise vapor-ware.
Jump to:
When considering a new smartwatch, which feature set is most important to you?
Alerts and Notifications
Calls and Messaging
Clock and Time Tracking
Contactless Payments and Banking
Design and Personalization
GPS and Maps
Health and Fitness
Music and Video