A Brand's Guide to Digital Shelf Analytics | Download the eBook Today!
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Opera Desktop Browser Comes With Ad Blocking Baked In

Re: Opera Desktop Browser Comes With Ad Blocking Baked In
Posted by: John P. Mello Jr. 2016-03-11 07:31:33
See Full Story

Opera on Thursday announced that new version of its desktop browser will have ad blocking built in. Users can block ads in other browsers, but only through add-on programs called "extensions." With ad blocking built in, Opera's Web engine can perform the task better than extensions. "People care about speed in a Web browser, so when you're developing a browser you always have to think about speed," said Krystian Kolondra, senior vice president for global engineering at Opera.

Re: Opera Desktop Browser Comes With Ad Blocking Baked In
Posted by: jescott418 2016-03-14 06:56:02 In reply to: John P. Mello Jr.
Its funny that ad blocking is the solution to everything wrong with the free web. Actually there is nothing wrong with advertising, it pays for web services and yet all we want to do is either force a change to a user paid access to sites, or simply cause web sites to go away. In fact, the solution should be to encourage advertisers to create less obtrusive and page loading delays in order to help stop the user from resorting to ad blocking solutions. I read a article the other day on making page loading faster by adopting better compression technics. Again, this is not about finding a solution. This is about finding cheats to an obvious problem of web sites just having too much content that causes slow loading. Some sites are actually very good at recognizing this issue, and develop their sites to make initial page loading fast. The other issue with ads is that even targeted ads don't really appear to be that useful to most users. I find that is frequently what I see is many ads are weeks or months pushing a targeted ad to me about a product I may not have even researched for any particular or personal reason. But I still do not agree, that a blanket kill all the ads is a real solution or one that won't have unintended negative effects down the road.
Jump to:
Would you license your personal data to advertising platforms if you were paid directly for it?
Yes -- So much of my personal data is already in the hands of advertisers anyhow; I may as well be paid for it.
Possibly -- It depends how much I would be compensated and how the data I authorize to share would be used and protected.
No -- I would not sell my personal data at any price.