Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Salesforce Industries Summit
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Cook Takes Encryption Battle to the Streets

Re: Cook Takes Encryption Battle to the Streets
Posted by: Natalie Campisi 2016-02-18 08:30:47
See Full Story

CEO Tim Cook on Tuesday brought Apple's dispute with the FBI to the public. Cook penned an open letter explaining the company's resistance to a federal magistrate's order to create software that would let authorities access data in an iPhone used by the shooters in last year's San Bernardino terrorist attack. Carrying out the order could undermine the security of all iPhone users, Cook argued. "The United States government has demanded that Apple take an unprecedented step which threatens the security of our customers," he wrote.

Posted by: jescott418 2016-02-19 08:11:53 In reply to: Natalie Campisi
I am still trying to figure out why Tim Cook thinks data is any different then other personal property a person has that is involved in a criminal investigation or in this case a act of terrorism. A court order for other information is never challenged that much and Apple previously has granted access help to devices some 70 plus times. So why is this a problem now? Could it be that Apple does not want to show it can defeat the encryption and therefore admit that the iPhone encryption can be defeated? To me defeating a court order is a mark against justice, if a company can simply argue against accessing information that is not even theirs to ague against. For me Tim Cooks decline is more an addition it could if it wanted too. He never made much argument that he couldn't.

Posted by: gsam01 2016-02-23 07:54:33 In reply to: jescott418
@jescott418, Unlike "other personal property" The so called "key" the feds are asking for is not just to open a single Apple device. It is more like a "master key" to open any Apple device. It would be good if there were some kind of certainty that it would never get in the hands of people who don't agree with our way of life - think China or North Korea. I think if Apple took this same stand against Chinese or North Korean intelligence your opinion may have been a little different.
Jump to:
What is the greatest challenge to organizations implementing Artificial Intelligence?
A shortage of talent with the skills to utilize AI to its full potential.
AI can be expensive and the return on investment is questionable to decision makers.
AI is an unfamiliar and complex technology that is not yet fully trusted.
AI has its own set of cybersecurity concerns which require additional resources.
Dependability of AI technology is still in doubt.
Many view AI as an unnecessary luxury.