Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Child Laborers Mine for Cobalt Used in Tech Gadgets

Re: Child Laborers Mine for Cobalt Used in Tech Gadgets
Posted by: David Jones 2016-01-21 05:58:37
See Full Story

Amnesty International and African Resources Watch have issued a report alleging that the supply chains of major electronics companies -- including Apple, Sony and Samsung -- included cobalt mined by child laborers in Africa. The companies have failed to make basic checks to halt the practice, the report claims. The report traces the harvesting and sale of cobalt in the poverty-stricken Democratic Republic of Congo -- where children as young as seven work the mines -- for use in lithium-ion batteries that power smartphones and electric cars.

Re: Child Laborers Mine for Cobalt Used in Tech Gadgets
Posted by: E.Chen 2016-01-21 08:20:24 In reply to: David Jones
Lithium batteries are used in power tools, home phones, cameras, toys, watches, cars, drones, flashlights, etc. It is a bit unfair to single out cellphone makers like Apple and Samsung. If one were to extent that logic, we as users should be the ones to blame. Amnesty International ought to post the names of the mine managers instead.
Jump to:
What is the greatest challenge to organizations implementing Artificial Intelligence?
A shortage of talent with the skills to utilize AI to its full potential.
AI can be expensive and the return on investment is questionable to decision makers.
AI is an unfamiliar and complex technology that is not yet fully trusted.
AI has its own set of cybersecurity concerns which require additional resources.
Dependability of AI technology is still in doubt.
Many view AI as an unnecessary luxury.