A Brand's Guide to Digital Shelf Analytics | Download the eBook Today!
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Bioprinting, Part 2 - The Ethical Conundrum

Re: Bioprinting, Part 2 - The Ethical Conundrum
Posted by: Richard Adhikari 2016-01-17 07:29:57
See Full Story

Nearly 120,000 people in the United States are on the waiting list for an organ transplant that may save their lives, according to the American Transplant Foundation.
"In the short term, we need many more people to register to be a potential organ donor," said Jordan Miller, assistant professor of bioengineering at Rice University.
However, donor organs require immunosuppressive therapies, which can limit the recipient's quality of life, so over the long term, the medical community is "extremely excited" about 3D printing's potential.

Posted by: StrangeCalibur 2016-03-16 23:05:01 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
Ban? That's crazy, and of course it will be available for the rich before the poor, what isn't? That's not a moral question its economic, all new tech follows that trend, which is not a bad thing in this case because it frees up more donor organs for other people.

Also just like every other tech it will get cheaper and cheaper over time, it wouldn't be that long before it was a viable treatment option for everyone.

This is about saving lives not "Oh I'm sorry, you don't get this life saving treatment because it was banned because some people felt it was immoral". Really I have come to expect that underneath these arguments are some peoples religious beliefs (We all remember the stem cell arguments). "Thou shalt not play god!""Thou shalt not disturb gods plan!". I'm sorry but if a child is born with a defective heart, why not replace it if we have the tech? Instead of leaving that child having to take tons of medication for his entire, maybe very short, life.

This tech could save millions of lives in the near future and improve peoples standard of living, allowing people to remain productive members of society for much longer.

The microchip lead to weapons of mass destruction but we don't ban everything that uses one. Nor should we ban this tech over fear that someone, sometime in the future, might try to 3D print a human body (Which may be a real useful treatment to someone who has been in a horrible accident but their brain is still fine), the human body is a machine, we finally have the ability to replace parts with new ones.

Morality is making sure that someone lives a comfortable, illness free life, using means that don't hurt other people. 3D printing a new heart of liver (out of their own cells or not), is the most moral decision you could make in that situation.

Posted by: markjacobson 2016-01-17 07:47:30 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
one day in the not too distant future, these technologies will be able to grow an entire pseudo-human being; a being not born of a mother and father. Will these beings have rights? will they be exploited as sex slaves for pedophiles, etc.??? what if they end up being entirely superior to natural humans?

I think this is what Revelations refers to as "the abomination"
Jump to:
Would you license your personal data to advertising platforms if you were paid directly for it?
Yes -- So much of my personal data is already in the hands of advertisers anyhow; I may as well be paid for it.
Possibly -- It depends how much I would be compensated and how the data I authorize to share would be used and protected.
No -- I would not sell my personal data at any price.