A Brand's Guide to Digital Shelf Analytics | Download the eBook Today!
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Ideoclick Amazon Compliance Guide
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: IBM Is a 'Kindred Spirit': Whoa, Tim Cook, Whoa

Re: IBM Is a 'Kindred Spirit': Whoa, Tim Cook, Whoa
Posted by: Chris Maxcer 2014-07-25 11:47:32
See Full Story

The Apple deal with IBM has shown us a whole new side of Tim Cook -- the gushing, hype-laden, excited-but-still-vague Tim Cook who says things like "kindred spirit," "huge opportunity," and "radical step for enterprise." Who peppers his speech with words like "profound," "complementary," "landmark" and "thrilled." Now, I'm a big fan of Tim Cook, but when he uttered this, "We fit together like a puzzle, and so this is profound. It is landmark. It's historic," my mouth dropped open and I felt compelled to look away.

Posted by: JohnBlackburn 2014-07-26 13:18:57 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
Didn't Apple's press release make the exclusivity clear enough?

"a new class of more than 100 industry-specific enterprise solutions including native apps, developed exclusively from the ground up, for iPhone and iPad"

Posted by: CMaxcer 2014-07-28 10:39:00 In reply to: JohnBlackburn
Great point. Still, the thing about that phrase that bothers me most is that it doesn't say, "developed from the ground up, exclusively for iPhone and iPad." As it's written, "exclusively" seems purposely vague in what it's supposed to be modifying . . . and if it was 100% locked in stone, well, based on the years I've followed both Apple and IBM, both companies tend to be far more specific when there is something truly exclusive -- and I think they would have hammered home this point: These apps are not only going to be FIRST on iOS, they will be the only full-featured mobile interface to IBM's suite of enterprise apps AT ALL.

To me, everything I read about this screams that IBM won't ignore Android or Windows if customers want their enterprise apps to be available for any mobile device. Better on iOS? Almost certainly. But truly exclusive to iOS? I'll believe it when I see it . . . and then see that exclusivity last longer than 6 months. (And frankly, if the exclusivity does last longer than 6 months, I believe the culprit would be a lack of customer demand for some level of Android or Windows-based parity in the apps -- not willpower from IBM to only support the best OS and hardware for the job.)

Of course, I wish IBM and Apple _will_ make these apps exclusive . . . and see IBM not bother to develop for Android or Windows. I would love to see that clarity of messaging.

--CM
Jump to:
When considering the credibility of an article I read online, I am most influenced by...
The organization or operator of the website that published the article
The journalist(s) who wrote the article
The sources quoted in the article
The quality or style of the writing
The individual(s) who brought the article to my attention
Whether the article has myriad shares or social media activity
My own knowledge or intuition