A Brand's Guide to Digital Shelf Analytics | Download the eBook Today!
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Taking the Windows 8 Plunge

Re: Taking the Windows 8 Plunge
Posted by: Patrick Nelson 2012-11-01 06:04:07
See Full Story

If you're used to Microsoft's stratospheric pricing email program -- Outlook alone is $139.99 estimated retail -- take a look at the small print at Microsoft's
Windows 8 website, and you'll see that a Windows 8 Pro upgrade can be downloaded for a limited-time at the measly price of $39.99. This is a surprising bargain from the monolith -- and a significant change in direction from the $100-plus upgrades we've been used to. So, grab that bank card and jump in.

Re: Taking the Windows 8 Plunge
Posted by: jescott418 2012-11-01 18:22:54 In reply to: Patrick Nelson
You can't charge a lot for a OS that nobody really needs. Apple decided a couple versions of OS X ago that you can get more users to keep upgrading to the latest creation by making the costs palatable.
Maybe Microsoft finally figured out that most of us know that they don't create a OS from scratch and much of the development is adding and cutting stuff in the many lines of code. But in the end all users care about these days is that their web browsers work and programs and apps open and run. The OS is much more mature and the core does not change that much anymore. I don't personally like Windows 8 but I commend Microsoft for realizing that those that do want it should not have to pay $100 for it. People complain less when they hate something if they did not spend a lot on it.
Jump to:
Would you license your personal data to advertising platforms if you were paid directly for it?
Yes -- So much of my personal data is already in the hands of advertisers anyhow; I may as well be paid for it.
Possibly -- It depends how much I would be compensated and how the data I authorize to share would be used and protected.
No -- I would not sell my personal data at any price.