A Brand's Guide to Digital Shelf Analytics | Download the eBook Today!
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Souping Up Your Smartphone's GPS

Re: Souping Up Your Smartphone's GPS
Posted by: Patrick Nelson 2012-10-25 11:03:38
See Full Story

At a recent search-and-rescue boot camp I attended, it was clear during unscientific tests I performed that a standalone, dedicated Global Positioning System device was more accurate navigating to waypoints than a smartphone with GPS chip -- but it was only by a few feet. A dedicated GPS device that a buddy operated was spot-on when predeployed marker UTM co-ordinates were plugged in to both devices -- the Android smartphone and GPS -- and both were used to navigate to a flag marker. The smartphone was off by up to 15 feet. But does it matter?

Re: Souping Up Your Smartphone's GPS
Posted by: jafcobend 2012-10-25 11:08:28 In reply to: Patrick Nelson
I found this interesting as you've done most of the same things I have done with my Droid-X. One issue I ran into after an update is that GPS no longer functions in "airplane" mode.

I can still get a fix even though it is no longer on a cell network and its always worked for me in places where there isn't cell service.

But turn on airplane mode and it appears to disable the GPS chip as well. So this is a heads up for others testing their devices. GPS may not function in airplane mode.
Jump to:
When considering the credibility of an article I read online, I am most influenced by...
The organization or operator of the website that published the article
The journalist(s) who wrote the article
The sources quoted in the article
The quality or style of the writing
The individual(s) who brought the article to my attention
Whether the article has myriad shares or social media activity
My own knowledge or intuition