A Brand's Guide to Digital Shelf Analytics | Download the eBook Today!
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Ideoclick Amazon Compliance Guide
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Twitter Grapples With Wiggly Censorship Line in Germany

Re: Twitter Grapples With Wiggly Censorship Line in Germany
Posted by: Peter Suciu 2012-10-24 07:53:58
See Full Story

Twitter on Thursday blocked tweets from the accounts of a neo-Nazi group that is in violation of German law. The ban is effective only within Germany. This is the first time Twitter has acted on its "country withheld content" policy, which it first announced in January. Twitter enacted the policy in an effort to balance freedom of expression with compliance with local laws. This is far from the first time that a company has confronted that problem. In 2000, a French court ordered Yahoo to block access in France to auctions that sold Nazi memorabilia.

Re: Twitter Grapples With Wiggly Censorship Line in Germany
Posted by: tonyhymes 2012-10-24 07:58:59 In reply to: Peter Suciu
Germany is a strange player in the western world, as they have strange licensing rules for things like music on YouTube. As far as we can tell (we have a music aggregation service that uses links from sites like YouTube and Soundcloud - a German site) certain YouTube videos are not available. It will be interesting to see how content that originates in Germany is shared with the rest of the world, vs in Germany. In this example, did the Neo-Nazi messages get blocked for the entire world, or were just not visible to German Twitter accounts? It seems like they got blocked entirely, which follows the censorship line of Germany. But would Twitter block all dissenting Tweets from Syria at the government's request? Or could it make those tweets invisible for other Syrian users to receive? Either way, the people using the internet are always lightyears ahead of those trying to control it, so I imagine that whatever Twitter or YouTube or other big services try to do to comply with governments will be undermined almost immediately by other services.
Jump to:
Would you license your personal data to advertising platforms if you were paid directly for it?
Yes -- So much of my personal data is already in the hands of advertisers anyhow; I may as well be paid for it.
Possibly -- It depends how much I would be compensated and how the data I authorize to share would be used and protected.
No -- I would not sell my personal data at any price.