A Brand's Guide to Digital Shelf Analytics | Download the eBook Today!
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Doing the Two-Step With Google

Re: Doing the Two-Step With Google
Posted by: Patrick Nelson 2012-10-18 08:07:12
See Full Story

Horror stories abound of electronic lives compromised by stolen passwords. One of the problems with a password-secured life is that the password is the single element that -- when compromised -- allows access. The User ID isn't protected, nor is any hardware. Shouldn't there be better methods? There are more secure systems. All you do is add further elements of authentication. This is called "two-factor authentication," and it's been around the computer industry for a long while.

Posted by: jescott418 2012-10-18 14:41:25 In reply to: Patrick Nelson
Yes many banks and financial sites are also using two step authentication. I agree its very good but it can be annoying sometimes. I think we need to find a way to register PC's or devices with a site so that if you switch browsers you do not have to go through the process again. Still a little work on my part is not a problem if it protects my accounts.

Posted by: Tantrick 2012-10-18 09:35:57 In reply to: Patrick Nelson
I use Two-Factor Authentication across a lot of my accounts. I feel a lot more secure when I can telesign into my account. I am glad that they offer that option. It is worth the time and effort to have the confidence that your account won't get hacked and your personal information isn't up for grabs. It would be nice to see more of the leading companies in their respective verticals start giving their users the perfect balance between security and user experience. I know some will claim that 2FA makes things more complicated, but the slight inconvenience each time you log in is worth the confidence of knowing your info is secure. I'm hoping that more companies start to offer this awesome functionality. To me this should be a prerequisite to any system that wants to promote itself as being secure.
Jump to:
Would you license your personal data to advertising platforms if you were paid directly for it?
Yes -- So much of my personal data is already in the hands of advertisers anyhow; I may as well be paid for it.
Possibly -- It depends how much I would be compensated and how the data I authorize to share would be used and protected.
No -- I would not sell my personal data at any price.