Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Galaxy vs. iPad: Clash of the Tablet Titans

Re: Galaxy vs. iPad: Clash of the Tablet Titans
Posted by: Richard Adhikari 2010-11-11 12:42:38
See Full Story

The Galaxy Tab Android tablet has landed. The greatly anticipated Samsung device represents what might be the greatest challenge yet to the Apple iPad's months-long dominance in the newly redefined tablet market. The Galaxy Tab is smaller and lighter than the iPad. The Galaxy has two cameras, runs Flash and offers multitasking. It's attracted attention from publishers seeking to put their content on a mobile device, and it's less expensive than the iPad. However, it has a smaller, seven-inch screen, a measurement upon which Apple CEO Steve Jobs heaped scorn recently as being inadequate.

Two or three apps???
Posted by: Lochias 2010-11-11 13:19:38 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
"The funny thing is that iPad buyers don't buy many apps," Enderle pointed out. "On average, they purchase two to three apps, so Apple's huge number of apps may not be as much of an advantage as it seems."

What planet does this observer live on??
You need an app just to read a book (more if you get them from more than one store, which I do: iBookstore, Amazon Kindle, Nook, etc.)

You need app to watch TV (Netflix, ABC, CBS News, PBS, etc.) or videos or movies (Video, etc.) or YouTube.

Newspapers are all their own apps.

As for magazines, although Zinio does bundle a bunch of them. most of the magazines that I read (NewYorker, Time, People, Wired, Sports Illustrated, etc.) are on their own.

To do any document creation or just serious noodling, one needs Pages -- or something similar -- and very likely Numbers or Keynote, etc.

To take notes from a meeting, or dictation after one, I need something more flexible -- other sets of apps (Dragon, NoteTaker, etc.).

And does anyone really not need music or art or games in their life? I cannot imagine walking around without some number of basic artistic creation and play tools.

And, yes, Sudoku or Scrabble or Angry Birds.

How in the world does anyone imagine that an "iPad buyer" (presumably not some weird data point fourteen sigmas out) would buy "two or three apps" ?

Unless he has never used an iPad. And never talked to anyone.
Jump to:
What is the greatest challenge to organizations implementing Artificial Intelligence?
A shortage of talent with the skills to utilize AI to its full potential.
AI can be expensive and the return on investment is questionable to decision makers.
AI is an unfamiliar and complex technology that is not yet fully trusted.
AI has its own set of cybersecurity concerns which require additional resources.
Dependability of AI technology is still in doubt.
Many view AI as an unnecessary luxury.