Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Salesforce Industries Summit
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: New WebP Image Format Could Send JPEG Packing

Re: New WebP Image Format Could Send JPEG Packing
Posted by: Rob Spiegel 2010-10-01 11:36:53
See Full Story

Google has introduced a new image format to help speed up the performance of websites. WebP (pronounced "weppy") reduces the file size of images by 40 percent, the company claims. Images make up 65 percent of the bytes transmitted per Web page, according to Google. WebP was designed to improve the compression offered by the widely used lossy JPEG format. The result is the lossy WebP. It comes at a time when Google has warned the Web developer community that it has started to factor loading speed as part of its criteria in ranking sites in search results.

Good luck Google!
Posted by: tony4life 2010-10-07 06:14:08 In reply to: Rob Spiegel
Yes, it IS a good thing to have a new standard to give us a faster web experience, especially with more mobile browsing taking place. However, I hope that there will also be a way to still access higher quality jpegs when we want to use a graphic in a presentation or on a higher resolution screen. Maybe we'll just need a "switch" on a website to view in WebP mode or standard mode with jpeg graphics. I just don't wish to downgrade my visual experience for the sake of speed unless it's for mobile browsing.
Jump to:
When considering a new smartwatch, which feature set is most important to you?
Alerts and Notifications
Calls and Messaging
Clock and Time Tracking
Contactless Payments and Banking
Design and Personalization
GPS and Maps
Health and Fitness
Music and Video