Get the E-Commerce Minute Newsletter from the E-Commerce Times » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Typhoid Adware: Coming From a Laptop Near You

Re: Typhoid Adware: Coming From a Laptop Near You
Posted by: Jack M. Germain 2010-07-12 10:00:22
See Full Story

A yet-unseen malware variant dubbed "Typhoid adware" could allow cyberattackers to prey on portable computer users tethered to unsecured WiFi connections at Internet cafes and other public places. This potential threat is lurking wherever consumers gather to use free Internet access points. The hidden new threat has none of the telltale symptoms of traditional infections, and it functions as a twist on the notorius "Man-in-the-middle" vulnerability, according to a team of computer science researchers at Canada's University of Calgary.

It's not unseen by some.
Posted by: artistek_tek 2010-07-12 10:35:38 In reply to: Jack M. Germain
I've been fighting this thing for 5 weeks straight. It has wrecked my home systems and I'm concerned that it's subversive nature and quick mutation keep it easily unnoticed. I will warn you, do not attack this thing with your normal array of standard AV, it will only perceive you as a threat. At that point the AI is difficult enough to overcome, not to mention the net remote access it has setup in your Dbus and IO modules. This thing is nasty, embeds itself in L1 cache on every duo core i have, associates bluetooth, wireless, tele, IM, anything you have instaled and whatever it brings in. Fake key gens, privilege modification, this thing actually can power a wifi card (intel 5300 a/b/g) from CMOS, you can pull the battery, shutdown, whatever but until you physically remove the transmitters and medium you can expect problems. The thing is so sticky, I'm not convinced it doesn't modulate and transmit via AC infrastructure. I know, it sounds crazy, believe me my credibility has suffered in trying to explain this one to people. If you know what's good for you, wait for a pro fix, otherwise you will be learning 16-bit DOS embed hacks, Unix/Linux/Windows/Mac file systems morphs, all OS permission hacks, string translator pipes 30+ folders deep, and invisible NTVDMs. Good luck if you meet this monster, you will need it.
Jump to:
I am most loyal to brands that...
Give the best value for my money
Have helpful and friendly staff
Operate an easy-to-use website
Provide fast, knowledgeable responses to questions
Support causes that I believe in