Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: YouTube Says HTML5 Not Ready for Prime Time

Re: YouTube Says HTML5 Not Ready for Prime Time
Posted by: John P. Mello Jr. 2010-07-01 19:59:14
See Full Story

Despite predictions to the contrary, Adobe Flash won't be supplanted any time soon as a major video distribution vehicle on the World Wide Web, according to a software engineer at the Net's largest video sharing site, YouTube. "[W]hile the <video> tag is a big step forward for open standards, the Adobe Flash Platform will continue to play a critical role in video distribution," John Harding wrote in the YouTube API Blog this week. He was referring to prognostications that a new version of the language to create pages on the Web, HTML5, will "kill" Flash.

Flash still has its merits
Posted by: JonGoldman 2010-07-12 14:19:42 In reply to: John P. Mello Jr.
There are millions of people watching video on Flash, so it's not a risky assertion to say that Flash, “will continue to play a critical role in video distribution.” Not only is Flash a more user-friendly online video platform than the current state of HTML5, but it is also widely accepted on all popular Web browsers and most mobile platforms. For an online video platform seeking to reach a mass audience in a manner convenient to the user, Flash makes more sense, as it allows for more customization and social interaction among users than HTML5. If/as users migrate to HTML, those of us who offer them online video will make sure that we give them the viewing options they want.

Jon Goldman
www.Qlipso.com
Jump to:
Which review rating influences you most when researching a business?
5 Stars - I want to know what others found amazing.
4 Stars - I want to find out why it's liked for the most part, but not without faults.
3 Stars - I want to understand why the business is neither loved nor hated.
2 Stars - I want to learn why the weaknesses outweigh the strengths.
1 Star - I want to know why anybody says they are completely dissatisfied with the business.