Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Living in a Constant State of Red-Alert Security

Re: Living in a Constant State of Red-Alert Security
Posted by: Scott M. Fulton, III 2010-03-21 14:06:04
See Full Story

Literally every day at Betanews, we get at least one security vendor "alert" of some type, warning us to be on the lookout for the latest malware. The message is always the same: Advise users to stay vigilant, to keep patching, to upgrade their antivirus to the latest editions. However, the profiles of the malware typically look the same, too -- stuff you might click on by accident, links pretending to be from your "best friend" in an e-mail message, ads for products that look too good to be true.

Snort..
Posted by: Kagehi 2010-03-21 14:13:00 In reply to: Scott M. Fulton, III
And.. The stupid thing about the last one, dealing with Facebook, is that about 20% of the time Hotmail, MS' own service **fails to notice them**, and lets them through. In fact, about the only thing they do seem to block consistently, at all, is things I signed up to receive from "legitimate" companies...

Thunderbird on the other hand, either does a real good job of catching some of this, or its going overboard, since it doesn't let me set a "this a always legit" flag on certain email accounts, and every time a DJ is playing in some sim in Second Life, the fact that the URL is a bit odd, and doesn't match the source in any way, flags it as a possible scam.

We need smarter detection. You can't tell me that its **impossible** to do something as basic as an Eliza style parsing of emails that all use ***nearly*** the same damn wording, and would be near incomprehensible, if they didn't, and go, "Ah hah! This is probably a scam, because they claim you have to go to the wrong site to reset a password, or log into an account, etc." Its just idiotic how much of this gets through, and the only reason I can see is that its using word filters, not linguistic ones, which actually have **some** vague idea about context, not just, "this is a common way to make a fake URL", or other completely worthless attempts to block it.
Jump to:
What is the greatest challenge to organizations implementing Artificial Intelligence?
A shortage of talent with the skills to utilize AI to its full potential.
AI can be expensive and the return on investment is questionable to decision makers.
AI is an unfamiliar and complex technology that is not yet fully trusted.
AI has its own set of cybersecurity concerns which require additional resources.
Dependability of AI technology is still in doubt.
Many view AI as an unnecessary luxury.