Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Salesforce Industries Summit
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

TechNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   TechNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Was the iPad a Mistake?

Re: Was the iPad a Mistake?
Posted by: Rob Enderle 2010-03-01 05:51:29
See Full Story

This isn't to ask whether it will be successful. Apple is a master at setting goals and then exceeding them, and a lot of folks are clearly excited about the iPad -- but the first generation iPhone was kind of a mistake that got corrected in later versions. As I look at similar products that seem better thought through, I'm increasingly thinking that Steve Jobs' initial concerns with this offering were well founded and that, at least initially, the iPad will have trouble reaching its potential.

iPad Problems
Posted by: buckisadog 2010-03-12 18:24:19 In reply to: Rob Enderle
The name was a very poor choice - and for the life of me, I cannot understand how Apple let that one slip by. Even iSlate would have been better - except cavemen might have taken exception.
The problem I have with the iPad is its size. Were there any females on that team? Women have to pack that badboy into a purse - case and all. What in the world are men going to do? Sew an extra large pocket onto their shirts to carry the thing around in lieu of a penholder? A backpack might be OK for university, but in the business world? Well, maybe at a tech company - but GS? I don't think so.
Also - who wants to carry a briefcase all over creation - unless one's lunch is also in it?! I think after the initial excitement has abated, Apple might have to rethink this product.

Wonderful analysis
Posted by: mack520 2010-03-04 08:16:21 In reply to: Rob Enderle
Spot on, as always, Mr. Enderle. With all the gaffs you mention this iPad launch may be as disastrous as the iPhone. This could be the biggest debacle for aapl since BuyMusic.com destroyed the iTunes Music Store.

iPad will be huge
Posted by: mjardeen 2010-03-02 18:06:43 In reply to: Rob Enderle
I plan on buying one and then upgrading on gen 2 or 3. This is a product that will be a huge hit. I don't was a laptop, and I don't need one. We will see upgrades with a camera being one of the first. As for the person who said that Apple has floundered lately??? What have you been drinking or reading? Apple is doing fantastic with industry leading results and a product mix companies would die to have.

Apple is a great marketing Machine
Posted by: jescott418 2010-03-01 16:49:53 In reply to: Rob Enderle
Apple has made some real flops and those of us who started with computers early in their infancy knows that. But probably the last decade has been good for Apple. They have hit some home runs. But lately they have floundered some. Even though Apple fans will tout how great Mac's are they are gaining market share pretty slow in the world. Yes, Apple is mostly a US thing when it comes to computers. I expect Apple to concentrait more on these specialty products like the iPad rather then Computers. Although I think they have over estamated the iPad usefulness and many buyer's will be disappointed.
Jump to:
When considering a new smartwatch, which feature set is most important to you?
Alerts and Notifications
Calls and Messaging
Clock and Time Tracking
Contactless Payments and Banking
Design and Personalization
GPS and Maps
Health and Fitness
Music and Video