Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Desperately Seeking Innovation

Re: Desperately Seeking Innovation
Posted by: Erika Morphy 2013-08-07 08:12:45
See Full Story

Apple may have won the battle, but it is in danger of losing the war. The battle was last Saturday's veto by the Obama administration of the International Trade Commission's decision to ban certain Apple products that it found to have infringed Samsung's patents. As for the war, that would be Apple's long struggle to preserve its reputation for delivering startling innovation. Let me be clear about a few points first: Patents in the mobile space are a multibillion dollar asset class, and Apple would be doing a disservice to its shareholders if it did not protect its IP.

Posted by: hembreeder 2013-08-07 08:31:48 In reply to: Erika Morphy
Your comment that Microsoft has lost its ability to innovate can't be true. Microsoft never had any such ability, the the recent creation of their table and the Zune and xBox were innovative, they were not successful innovations because they did not do the kind of innovation that makes users fall in love with them. The machinery itself was exceptionally good.

Posted by: hembreeder 2013-08-07 08:25:12 In reply to: Erika Morphy
Apple's products have never been greeted as startlingly excellent. On the contrary, analysts have greeted almost every Apple introduction with skepticism, if not derision. Apple's stock has dropped after almost every introduction of a new product.

This because analysts and customers still think of innovation as new technology. For Apple, innovation means giving new usability to old technology. Apple has only adopted one or two new technologies ahead of the general market. An example would be USB.

Apple is creative in giving new utility and dramatically better utility to simple, proven technologies. This usefulness and thoughtfulness of software design, such as pinch to zoom and the rubber-banding effect, make people fall in love with their Apple devices. It is not the ability to wave your hand around and have something happen, unless that becomes a lovably useful thing to be able to do. If it is not, Apple will not offer it, no matter how technologically whizz=bang it may seem.

Apple continues its lovability innovations every single time it give us a new version of iOS or OSX. New devices will appear, too, and analysts will pan them as nothing new. But users will fall in love with them as usual and buy a ton of them.

Posted by: PeterBlood 2013-08-07 20:01:51 In reply to: hembreeder
When were you born? Obviously you are no Apple history expert. I do believe when Apple first introduced the iMac, iPhone, iPod, Mac Book Air and iPad those products WERE greeted as startlingly excellent. The subsequent revisions, well, the cats out of the bag so now we have just upgrades to look forward to. It's the "startlingly" new product class introductions that get the rare accolades. And really how many companies than Apple have ever come close to this?

Except for the Mac Apple has always taken an existing poor class of product (like music player, phones, tablets) and gave it the once over only they can in terms of real usability and that is what's startling. But in our jaded culture that feeling doesn't last long as companies like Google and Samsung copy Apple's efforts.

Apple adopted many technologies first, some didn't gain wide acceptance in the PC world but were used heavily in the Mac world.

You make some other good points I don't disagree with. People disingenuously discount Apple when in reality I believe they are the best thing going out there overall. So do many other millions around the world. And when Apple finally does bring out a large phone for those who want it what will Android fans have to say then?
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.