Get the E-Commerce Minute Newsletter from the E-Commerce Times » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Watch for an Apple Sneak Attack on Living Room Gaming

Re: Watch for an Apple Sneak Attack on Living Room Gaming
Posted by: Chris Maxcer 2013-06-20 07:51:45
See Full Story

Despite all the cool updates Apple promised to bring the world at its Worldwide Developers Conference -- iOS 7, OS X Mavericks, a new Mac Pro -- the most tantalizing new possibility wasn't described at all: games. Gaming. An Apple-made gaming console. A new vision for living room gaming delivered via home WiFi and an Apple TV. Since Apple wasn't out there on the stage talking about this specifically, why bother diving into the vaporous chance of a new class of Apple living room product now?

Posted by: Scannall 2013-06-22 06:04:13 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
I don't think a new Apple TV actually needs a built in storage device. Between cloud storage, and storage on your home network there is plenty laying around anyway. That $99 price point is just too strong to toss aside.

Put a A6X in it, or whatever follows it this fall. It already has an 8 gig buffer in it, as well as Bluetooth. Release a SDK for it, and let the devs loose. Quite a few iPad apps and games would be easy to port to the Apple TV.

Posted by: Macaholic 2013-06-20 15:44:30 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
Great article. This has also been my opinion, exactly. Apple has given developers the code to create hardware controls that iOS devices can nestle into and those devices can beam gameplay over to an Apple TV. Totally the way to go and, given that the iOS devices would be handling the rendering, Apple TV may possibly only need a software update to handle multiple user input and negotiate the data flow. Is it even possible that the rendering of multiplayers games be "farmed' across the multiple iOS devices??

Bottom line is that there would be little work for Apple themselves to do, opening up a new third-party hardware controller market for companies like Logitech to get into, all allowing them to further cement their presence.

Posted by: melgross 2013-06-20 09:31:38 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
Firstly I'd like to say that the Anki was pretty good, not odd at all.

But the idea that Apple could or should produce a $499 box is ludicrous! That would flop immediately. At the most, Apple could possibly get away with a box costing $149. If it's not inexpensive, it won't sell. The main reason why aTv is selling is because it's below $100, barely. Once it gets above that price, it becomes more than incrementally more expensive in the eyes of the consumer.

Apple has sold, not millions, but hundreds of millions of iOS devices. If it doesn't have the eyeballs there, it won't have them anywhere. The aTv is perfect for what it does now, which is to act as an inexpensive bridge between those iOS devices and your AV system.

What Apple needs to do is to make Airplay as smooth, and as able to allow game play from those iOS devices to be as lag free as possible. We really don't need to play games directly from it. I don't know why the press is as ignorant about this as it is.

Posted by: CMaxcer 2013-06-20 07:58:03 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
Interesting new development: Microsoft took at look at the nasty customer sentiment over its draconian new Xbox One system and backpedalled away from the pit of doom: The console will no longer need to call home every 24 hours and any physical games on disks can be played on any Xbox One console . . . or traded or sold. Good move by Microsoft, but the original plan was still like insulting your wife in public -- never a smart move and always hard to recover from.
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.