Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Digital River - Talk to the Experts
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Apple's Obsession With Simplicity Can Really Complicate Things

Re: Apple's Obsession With Simplicity Can Really Complicate Things
Posted by: Chris Maxcer 2013-02-28 14:29:49
See Full Story

Apple makes powerful products that do complicated things very simply and easily, and are mostly intuitive. You don't need an owner's manual to figure out how to use most Apple products. Apple aggressively whittles down its products so they become the essence of the most important things they do. The floppy disk drive? Gone from the Macintosh before some customers were ready for it. The CD/DVD drive? Similarly gone from the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro with Retina Display.

Posted by: Swissboy 2013-05-31 04:27:03 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
I've switched to Mac about 10 years ago and am only now beginning to regret it. It seems Mac is forgetting the principle rule of "if it ain't broke" and is going from the simple to the complicated. Of note is their iLife program: whereas iDVD and iMovie used to be easy to use, it's now quite complicated. Moreover it can't read past versions of its own programs. Not to mention their pathetic customer service - if one can call it that. With their bloated tax-free profits (shame on you!), Mac should invest in real customer support. That said, I think I'll go back to my old "cranky" PC.

Posted by: Llewen 2013-03-01 19:49:37 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
My least favourite tech companies, and seeing as I only know very much about tech companies and gaming companies, my least favourite companies in the world (in no particular order): Apple, Microsoft, Adobe, Symantec, Oracle, EA. Some of the main reasons I dislike all of these companies have to do with their tendency to want to lock their customers into a closed "ecosystem", to essentially turn them into technological serfs, beholding to one lord.

They all make invasive, bloated software and hardware, designed intentionally to limit customer choice, and all of them are going to pay dearly for their design choices, and the way they treat their clients and their competition in the long run, and most of them have already been forced to at least fork over a down payment. Simplicity? Try customizing or personalizing anything that is created by Apple, and suddenly that "simplicity" becomes a nightmare of missing or hidden options, and proprietary tools.

Posted by: paulrus 2013-03-01 09:24:37 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
Part of Apple's marketing scheme is to encourage users to remain in Apple proprietary ecosystem. By doing things like eliminating physical hard drive space on the Apple TV device, users are further encouraged to use Apple-only services like the iCloud. Is their end goal simplicity, or to limit users' choices of competitors? Further examples include the thunderbolt connector, proprietary USB shape, and Apple-only audio file codecs.
Jump to:
Which best describes what you think about requiring Covid-19 "vaccine passports?"
It will prompt more people to take the vaccine to help end the virus.
It will lessen restrictions and provide more freedom for individuals.
It is a violation of privacy and civil liberties.
It will lead to stigma and discrimination.
It will encourage counterfeits and other criminal activities.