Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: The 5 Features Apple Must Deliver for TV Success

Re: The 5 Features Apple Must Deliver for TV Success
Posted by: Chris Maxcer 2012-09-27 07:36:20
See Full Story

As the fall television season kicks into full gear with season premieres, I've been thinking a lot about Apple's mythical Apple HDTV -- not the little hockey puck unit that attaches to any TV, but a real HDTV with a big, bright flat-panel display. As I've noted before, the Gordian Knot of content is a huge problem for Apple. And yet, it's only one part of a whole package of challenges that Apple must face in order to win its way into our living rooms with a real HDTV.

Posted by: akcoyote 2012-10-18 00:13:00 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
Let me make it simple....

I love Apple, but would never consider purchasing an Apple 'TV' that included a monitor.

Apple should stick to what it does best, providing innovation, superior craftsmanship and unmatched user experience.

Meet these three objectives in an 'Apple TV' that will use whatever flat-screen I own as a display and I will be standing in line on release day.

If they want to offer an incredible monitor to pair with it, I would consider it, but not likely buy it until a) their 'TV' proved indispensable and b) my current flat-screen was past its prime. Even then they would have to make a good case for spending big bucks on theirs instead of heading to Costco to pick up the latest Toshiba or Visio.

Remember Apple has never succeeded in a commodity market dominated by price. TVs are such a market.

TV manufacturers have rarely leapt ahead through innovation. This is an incremental market where new features come out at high prices and take hold when the increment becomes 'standard' and commodity priced. Bad, bad market for Apple.

Posted by: lvavila 2012-09-27 07:46:41 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
I appreciate the article. My only comment is your title of what Apple "Must" deliver, to be successful with Apple TV I assume? I suggest MacWorldNew Must not involve itself in guessing what other companies need to do to be successful. Now if you used a phrase like, "What I/we would like to see Apple do..." would have worked better.

Im not sure if Apple still has the Steve Jobs mojo, but what is obvious is what MS, Google, Dell and others make. Apple kinda beats its own path.

Posted by: just4kicks 2012-09-27 07:56:40 In reply to: lvavila
lvavila ... addressing your point about MacNewsWorld 'not involving itself in guessing what other companies need to do to be successful', the author or editor placed 'OPINION' above the headline. That tag tells me that the content is the opinion of the author/commentator and not necessarily that of the MacNewsWorld company or its staff. Have a good day. /j4k
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.