Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Steve Jobs' Greatest Invention: The Apple Retail Store

Re: Steve Jobs' Greatest Invention: The Apple Retail Store
Posted by: Chris Maxcer 2012-04-19 14:57:46
See Full Story

I've changed my mind about the greatest invention of Steve Jobs. It's not the iPhone, it's not the iPod, iTunes, or white earbuds. And it sure as heck isn't the iPad. While the original, friendly, all-in-one Macs certainly broke new ground, I see their basic ideas and form factors as inevitable -- someone, at some point, would have invented something like the iMac eventually. What about the App Store and iTunes, both of which deliver billions of products to consumers around the world? Pretty cool and wicked smart, but the greatest invention ever out of Steve Jobs? No way.

Posted by: NancyILS 2012-04-20 06:26:14 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
That is correct; however, due to Apple's early organizational programs out in the country with unqualified consultants, some of us early dealers received poor advice and deceptive consultants, resulting in the ruination of our stores and our personal finances. However, I did educate hundreds of teachers and individuals about Apple II computers before the downfall of our store and the destruction of our personal financial status. Therefore, even though we contributed to the early 1980s successful store, we suffered the consequences of poor organizational skills as no one knew how to set up apple stores and unqualified consultants were the leaders in such. I have both good and bad memories about our early venture into opening and running an Apple computer store. Nancy Anderson, Interactive Learning Systems.

Posted by: CMaxcer 2012-04-19 19:20:06 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
Man, that video is funny. When he was Darth Vader, a little girl looked like she was ready to bolt out of there!

I didn't realize the old Gateway stores were still mail order. That cracks me up. If I remember right, I remember pricing out a Gateway PC back in the day (online) . . . but ultimately sticking with a Mac.

Posted by: jbelkin 2012-04-19 15:04:03 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
Two additional interesting things - first, 99% of analysts thought they would fail because no one else had succeeded before and B) The Gateway stores were typical of crazy thinking on the part of most retailers - the Gateway Computer Stores DID NOT SELL actual computers. You could buy accessories but the stores let you order a computer so it could be shipped directly to you days later - what kind of idiot thinking is that - if you lure people into a store, do you close the sale? No, type your order in and you'll get in DAYS ... idiots. No wonder they are out of business. As you noted, the Apple stores are amazing - have you seen the video - can you bring a goat into an Apple store? And the answer is YES ...

http://www.takefiveaday.com/2011/08/01/can-you-bring-a-goat-into-an-apple-store/
Jump to:
Which best describes what you think about requiring Covid-19 "vaccine passports?"
It will prompt more people to take the vaccine to help end the virus.
It will lessen restrictions and provide more freedom for individuals.
It is a violation of privacy and civil liberties.
It will lead to stigma and discrimination.
It will encourage counterfeits and other criminal activities.