Get the ECT News Network Editor's Pick Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Why Tech Tangles Are More Painful for Apple Users

Re: Why Tech Tangles Are More Painful for Apple Users
Posted by: Chris Maxcer 2012-03-29 08:04:56
See Full Story

Is Apple pain worse than PC pain? I don't know the answer, but it seems to me that a weird mix of personality, expectation and Apple's business model all conspire to create dreadful pain in Apple enthusiasts whenever something with an Apple product goes wrong. I'm not talking so much about a hardware failure like a hard drive that dies, but something more insidious, like an application that won't launch, applications that crash, mysterious MacBook heat, spinning beach balls of destiny, or oddly consumed hard drive space.

Re: Why Tech Tangles Are More Painful for Apple Users
Posted by: DNutz 2012-04-01 18:55:46 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
I've posted up the solution in many a forum and I'll post it here also, there is a program called Disk Inventory X that you can use to find out what the "other" is on your Mac. For many people that use this program they find many different reason for the large data accumulation on their hard drive. For your friend it was his gmail, for other people their computers were compromised, 1 female had so many copies of her itunes collection clogging up her space. This program has helped many and I am sure it would have helped your friend had you found out about it before he left.

The correct term is . . .
Posted by: farmerbob 2012-03-29 12:46:59 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
. . . "The Spinning Beach Ball of "Death".

I like "Destiny"
Posted by: CMaxcer 2012-03-29 21:03:53 In reply to: farmerbob
I like "destiny" better -- seems a bit more interminable than death. But I like "doom," too. Could be the spinning beach ball of doom. (The great thing about language is that you can modify it to suit yourself!)

What's the cure?
Posted by: just4kicks 2012-03-29 08:56:11 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
Interesting story Chris, but don't leave us hanging. After your friend returns from the Oregon coast you need to let us know what was eating up all the drive space and what the fix is.

Re: Publisher
Posted by: CMaxcer 2012-03-29 21:00:00 In reply to: just4kicks
OK, so my buddy couldn’t wait for a Genius and instead took his MacBook to a third-party Apple Certified Repair shop. A woman looked through is MacBook for quite a while. My buddy had two email accounts, a MobileMe account and a Gmail account, both of which he accessed via the built-in Mail client. Except the Gmail account he only used sporadically, and didn’t pay much attention to it.

So what was all that data? Mail. Gmail. 450 GB or so of it.

Now, I wasn’t there, and I was getting the story on a cell phone not directly from the source, but apparently the repair person believes that the Gmail server that happened to house this guy’s account was somehow compromised (malware, trojan, virus, something) or had some odd failure. The upshot was, the Gmail server (apparently) might have only been down for a very short time before Google fixed it or it failed over to another server or who knows what, but it was long enough to queue up a boatload of emails. Which the MacBook’s Mail client started to dutifully download.

I was skeptical. 450 GB of email? Holy macaroni!

I didn’t get to see what the email looked like, and my buddy was just relieved that his MacBook was getting fixed, and so he can’t describe his Gmail inbox or what all this mail looked like. But the tech deleted all the mail and the account is fine and still active.

As I think about this, wow, this must have hammered his home WiFi . . . or even the one at my house . . . because that would have taken hours and hours to download. And the ISP never said anything (so far, at least)

What’s even more amazing is that his MacBook’s Mail client was jammed full with 450 GB of messages . . . and it didn’t even fail or make his MobileMe experience via Mail fail either. Maybe the MacBook and the Mail app are more resilient than I might have imagined.

So, this particular problem could be chalked up to something that wouldn’t matter what Mac or PC you were running . . . or maybe not. Still weird.

Meanwhile, this answer also doesn’t appear to be the problem for the dozens and dozens of other people who posted about similar issues in the online forums . . . I still feel for all those guys patiently waiting for someone to answer their pleas for help.
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.