Get the ECT News Network Editor's Pick Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: OS Showdown: Will 8 Be Great? Will Mountain Lion Roar?

Re: OS Showdown: Will 8 Be Great? Will Mountain Lion Roar?
Posted by: Richard Adhikari 2012-03-02 09:54:35
See Full Story

Later in 2012, we'll see the arrival of two major operating systems: Microsoft Windows 8, a preview of which was offered to the general public earlier this week, and Apple's OS X Mountain Lion. Are we lining up for a major OS showdown? Or are we not comparing apples to apples? Windows 8 will run on desktops, laptops, tablets and everything in between, while Mountain Lion, despite its incorporation of some features from mobile iOS, is restricted to desktops and laptops. Microsoft's already touting Windows 8's security.

Here we go again
Posted by: RayCon 2012-03-04 11:19:24 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
"while Apple 'has lost its top spokesman so is massively less able to position its product successfully than it once was.'"

There goes Enderle again. The loss of Steve Jobs does not portend the end of Apple, nor does it suggest a less successful Apple. Cook and Company will do an excellent job, and the avenue that Apple now pursues was planned way before Steve's passing.

Clarification
Posted by: ViewRoyal 2012-03-02 10:02:17 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
"Windows 8 will run on desktops, laptops, tablets and everything in between"

No it won't.

Microsoft has stated clearly that Windows 8 on ARM may have the same name as Windows 8 for x86, but that they are two separate operating systems... Just like OS X and iOS are two separate operating systems.

Windows 8 on ARM will not run Windows (x86) applications, either natively or in emulation... Just like you cannot run OS X applications on iOS devices.

Windows 8 ARM applications won't run natively on Windows 8 desktop and notebook PCs, but you might be able to run them in emulation... This is the same for OS X running iOS apps.
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.