Get the ECT News Network Editor's Pick Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Digital River - Talk to the Experts
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: What's Apple Hiding in B82?

Re: What's Apple Hiding in B82?
Posted by: Chris Maxcer 2012-03-01 06:05:16
See Full Story

It's no secret that Apple will unveil the new iPad 3 at its March 7 event for journalists next week. The coy and vague invitations to the event featured an iPad-looking image, with the words, "We have something you really have to see. And touch." Beyond the hope for a wicked-sharp new iPad 3 screen and speculation about a beefier processor, a whole different set of rumors has been gaining momentum: First, might Apple take advantage of all the hoopla around the attention-grabbing iPad 3 and use it to introduce an iOS-based sibling, a new generation of the Apple TV?

Apple TV - Does it need to be a TV?
Posted by: akcoyote 2012-03-01 11:19:57 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
I truly hope Apple does NOT make the next generation Apple TV a true TV with a screen.

There is no compelling reason for me to want to abandon my investment in my current flat screen. Using it as a display for Apple TV not only saves me considerable money now, but it allows me access to future display technology on my schedule.

Even if we assume that Apple builds a 'TV' with some compelling feature unavailable to folks using their current TV as a display, the price will undoubtedly be prohibitive.

- Apple loves its margins (as a stockholder so do I) and focuses on the high end of any product market.
- TVs are a commodity product and built in huge numbers giving the economies of scale.
- There is strong competition in the TV marketplace forcing both rapid innovation and low prices.

Upgrading Apple TV to add functionality and provide improved integration into the Apple ecosystem would be a welcome change. Requiring me to pay for an Apple 'TV' to get these changes would be simply a good reason for me to stick with my current model.
Jump to:
Which best describes what you think about requiring Covid-19 "vaccine passports?"
It will prompt more people to take the vaccine to help end the virus.
It will lessen restrictions and provide more freedom for individuals.
It is a violation of privacy and civil liberties.
It will lead to stigma and discrimination.
It will encourage counterfeits and other criminal activities.