Get the ECT News Network Editor's Pick Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Digital River - Talk to the Experts
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Apple's Textbooks Improve Everything but the Text

Re: Apple's Textbooks Improve Everything but the Text
Posted by: Chris Maxcer 2012-01-30 15:17:23
See Full Story

After Apple announced that it had "reinvented" textbooks at its education media event in New York earlier in the month, I knew I had to take one for a spin myself. I downloaded the new iBooks 2 iPad app and launched it to get to the refreshed iBooks Store. I tapped the big "Introducing Textbooks" graphic and started looking. There were eight titles available, covering topics like Algebra, Geometry and Physics. Seven of them cost $14.99, which seems like a steal, but I'm not personally interested in learning Algebra 1 all over again, for example.

IPAD and textbooks
Posted by: GarySRennie 2012-01-30 15:30:35 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
I presume the inability to copy and paste is to ensure that nobody distributes copies of the entire textbook. However, a limit on the amount of text that can be copied would likely accomplish the same goal. You're right about the lack of storage in an IPAD being a negative for this initiative. It's the main reason, I haven't purchased an IPAD. I'd like to use one as a mobile photo viewer, but uploading RAW files from a few hours of shooting would quickly fill it. An HDMI or Thunderbolt connection would be helpful.
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.