Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Apple's Cook Steamed Over Labor Practices Report

Re: Apple's Cook Steamed Over Labor Practices Report
Posted by: Richard Adhikari 2012-01-27 15:59:48
See Full Story

Since the middle of this week, the buzz about Apple hasn't been so much its record earnings as disclosures of the working conditions its overseas workers endure, as detailed in a recent report, which touched on worker deaths, inhumane working conditions, disregard for workers' health, the use of underage workers, suggestions that Cupertino cares only about cutting costs and maintaining product quality, and allegations of infighting among senior management at Apple over these issues.

NYT's Red-Wash Is Far From Reality
Posted by: CharlesLiu 2012-01-27 16:07:17 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
[To be clear the only Apple product I own is a dusty gen1 iPhone. I do not work for Apple or Foxconn. No on pays me to post this comment.]

Richard, I'd love to see David Barboza stay at my dynasty-era, unheated, unplumbed ancestral home in rural China (I have, some relatives still live there), then stay at a Foxconn dorm for comparison.

Then perhaps NYT will have some sympathy for the 900 million Chinese that live in poverty, and understand why everyday, 10,000+ applicants jostle in front of Foxconn's Shenzhen factory for interview. Not because they are masochists, but they see hope for a better life at a good company that pays above industry average.

So a few guys jumped at Foxconn. May it be getting dumped by girlfriend, too much gambling debt, even depressed about career outlook - mental illness is the cause of suicide, not working condition at Foxconn.

Statistically suicide rate at Foxconn is lower than China's national average and fraction of suicide rate in US college campus and US military. Why does our objective media neglect to report the other side of the story?
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.