Get the ECT News Network Editor's Pick Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: How Apple Can Clean Up in the Living Room

Re: How Apple Can Clean Up in the Living Room
Posted by: Chris Maxcer 2011-10-27 06:43:32
See Full Story

Like the super-duper Apple-focused analyst Gene Munster at Piper Jaffray, I've long believed that Apple has been planning to create a new television set. Apple's largest iMac and the Apple Thunderbolt Display already boast a wicked-sharp 27-inch screen. With a current Apple TV set-top box glued to the side of an HDTV, it's not hard to imagine an all-in-one unit. Of course, that's thinking small, and Apple usually thinks much bigger. In fact, former CEO Steve Jobs was quoted about a mythical Apple TV in Walter Isaacson's recently released biography, Steve Jobs .

Wow, the more I think about it . . .
Posted by: CMaxcer 2011-10-28 08:47:23 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
Hey DannoBonano and hornwd, thanks for the great comments. Awesome point on "watch SouthPark" . . . and I do appreciate AirPlay and my integration with my Apple TV(2). I popped an old-school DVD into my DVD player for a kid the other day and I was astounded at how painful it was to launch the movie -- I had to wait through a bunch of warnings, then wait for a long and involved splash screen, then watch some advertisements for some other kid shows, then finally start the movie. I was thinking, "No wonder DVDs are dying out -- I can't believe these people are (were) so consumer unfriendly and stupid."

The more I think about, like you said, hornwd, iCloud and my existing setup, along with things Apple could "crack" to make it even better, and it's hard not to look forward to 2012!

--Chris

Thanks for your insights
Posted by: DannoBonano 2011-10-27 11:32:40 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
I agree with virtually everything right down to the TV being an AirPlay monitor - meaning the "guts" are either an iOS device, a Mac or the AppleTV - connected via Wi-Fi AirPlay.

My only point of contention: I don't believe that Apple will require or allow you to say "Record new episodes of....blah blah blah"

I believe Apple will have a hybrid subscription / iAd supported model where all TV shows will be free.

You will only need to say "Watch the latest episode of Southpark"

Apple TV
Posted by: hornwd 2011-10-27 08:22:41 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
Chris,

I will agree with you on the Apple TV but the cost associated will be large. I have in the house 3 apple tv's, 1 mac mini and 4 iphones. I have all but dumped by PC systems.

For $90.00 the Apple TV 2 is still impressing me, my plan is to create my own little cloud at home. I use the Mac Mini as my single source for all things apple, music, movies, books whatever with itunes ponited to a NAS. I have connected a Apple TV 2 on every TV in the house all pointed back to my apple mac mini and itunes.

My next move is wirless LED light speakers driven connected to my Mac Minni (Green of course) to be driven by the next iPad with suri as I think iPhone will not be the next gen driver as much as the iPad is taking over that spot. I do think most everything will be connected and voice driven by suri projected to any apple device by saying play movie in kids room. So all my integrated apple ecosystem that can be controlled from iPad(s) or iPhone to a TV (Apple) or Apple TV2s. This is really getting cool and fun, I haven't had this much fun since installing my first car stereo cassette of cours or my first reall home entertainment system.

Good read but there is so much you can do with what is aready available integrated now and affordable by Apple.

Steve Jobs Cracking Easy To Use TV
Posted by: supportthe99percent 2011-10-27 06:59:41 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
Sorry it has already been done years ago it is called "TIVO" with integration access to Netlix Streaming as well as Hulu, Amazon and Block Buster Moive Rentals it is super easy to use also provides HD quality DVR witch is on a local HD so I don't have to wait for anything to stream mine has two tuners but the latest model has five.
Sorry Apple can't create everything in the world! Unless they want to be like Google and Microsoft and copy it! Kudos TIVO! P.S. They also provide customer and technical support that is the best I have used and I have used everyones including Apple

Tried and Failed
Posted by: aoeu 2011-10-27 06:56:49 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh_TV

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Bandai_Pippin
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.