Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Kindle Cloud Reader Takes Web Apps to New Heights

Re: Kindle Cloud Reader Takes Web Apps to New Heights
Posted by: Paul Hartsock 2011-08-16 12:42:00
See Full Story

It's been a really long time since I've used a Web app on iOS. Before the App Store was launched, that used to be the only way to use anything resembling third-party software on an iPhone. In Year 1, nobody but Apple could develop directly for iOS, so the best anyone could do was build a site that fit nicely on a 3.5-inch screen. Naturally, most of the results were kind of lame, at least when compared to the software app makers can write when they're building native applications. Web apps couldn't use many of the phone's hardware resources or sensors.

Slight disagree with review
Posted by: Mstevens2 2011-08-17 22:10:30 In reply to: Paul Hartsock
The reviewer is accurate for the most part, however, there are a few features that I have come to appreciate from kindle and now kindle iOS app that do not appear to be available in the cloud reader.

- no highlighting of specific text available in cloud reader
- no personal "notes" (since no highlighting)
- no "smart" highlighting, that cool little feature that actually shows you what other readers of the same book have highlighted.
- no sharing of specific text passages, or any sharing with twitter and Facebook.

For me, these are important features I use regularly in my kindle books; if they arent important to you, then review is accurate. If you value these features, then there is a distinct and significant difference between cloud reader and native iOS kindle app.
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.