Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: What Happens When Apple's Rules Stop Making Sense

Re: What Happens When Apple's Rules Stop Making Sense
Posted by: Chris Maxcer 2011-08-11 13:59:36
See Full Story

For some businesses, Apple's App Store rules just don't make business sense. In fact, in some situations, some businesses that play by Apple's rules can delight their customers and yet end up losing more money than before they even entered the App Store ecosystem. It all comes down to Apple's 30 percent cut of App Store-based sales and a business' existing customer base. To reach consumers through the iOS App Store, Apple's basic terms are pretty simple: If an iOS-running Apple customer buys an app, Apple gets 30 percent of the sale price.

Apple and that 30%
Posted by: andrys 2011-08-11 14:21:54 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
Very good points.
It's even worse than that though. Because of Apple’s “Agency” model which the Big6 publishers adopted, Amazon’s share of a sale is exactly 30%
and the other 70% goes to the publisher.

So, Apple, when demanding 30% of any of the rival ebookstore vendor sales (for something like 85% of ebooks out there) would have been demanding 100% of Amazon or B&N's revenue from the sales involving the Big6.

This is if Apple would have insisted on 30% for in-app sales as they did for subscription publishers.
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.