Get the ECT News Network Editor's Pick Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Betrayed by My iPhone!

Re: Betrayed by My iPhone!
Posted by: Chris Maxcer 2011-04-21 05:27:20
See Full Story

This whole "knowing-where-everyone-is-at-all-times-thing" that we've been experiencing in this century is getting old. We've known that our cellphone carriers keep track of our handsets as they move around, connecting to various towers and using services that require byzantine billing systems. And we know, based on any episode of any murder-thriller TV show or movie that the local cops or feds can find our phones at any time if we happen to be kidnapped or hiding after committing nefarious activities.

Get over yourself Chris
Posted by: jescott418 2011-04-24 07:14:55 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
In case you have not noticed, privacy is dead. With the advent of sites like Facebook and GPS location services. Apple's tracking seems trivial. If you don't like it, just stop using these devices. Quit thinking Apple could care less. Encrypting everything requires more data being sent and received. Then we would hear people like you complain that its using too much bandwidth. For most people Apple provides this service to locate their Apple product if lost or stolen.
That too me sounds like a very good service to have. You have a choice so either give up some of your privacy for these services. Or become a off the grid, paranoid freak who values your privacy.

For once, I disagree with you, Chris.
Posted by: rogerowens 2011-04-21 11:35:28 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
I was a software engineer for many years. I simply disagree with you that this is a big deal. The programmer probably had a simple reason to store this data. It's not derived from the GPS data. If there was some plot or conspiracy involved, they would've stored the GPS coordinates—and they would be uploading that data. I know it makes us a bit uneasy, but this is no big deal, I'm sure. It might even just be data stored for debugging purposes that they forgot to remove, or it may be an aid to reconnecting to WiFi hotspots(and too long a list). Yes, it probably should be dropped, truncated, or encrypted. I do agree with you that Ducky is on to something, however! I do feel sorry for those adults who have to tell their friends where they are (frequently) or have to know where their friends are. But it doesn't hurt to announce that you've found a great restaurant, or you're free to meet someone after another appointment was cancelled, or even to brag you're on the Eiffel Tower or wherever.

iPhoneTracker
Posted by: techstupid 2011-04-21 05:45:58 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
is there an iPhoneTracker for windows? I'm not sure how I feel about this yet, still processing the information but I would like to see exactly what is in this file
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.