Get the E-Commerce Minute Newsletter from the E-Commerce Times » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Apple Hunkers Down as Earnings Call Nears

Re: Apple Hunkers Down as Earnings Call Nears
Posted by: Richard Adhikari 2011-04-13 05:19:37
See Full Story

Every morning this week, I've awakened with a vision of senior Apple executives swimming before my eyes. They're deep in an underground bunker, preparing feverishly for April 20 -- the date on which Apple will announce its Q2 FY11 earnings. Chances are, the members of the Apple gang are wearing ear-to-ear grins as they work, but that part of the dream always fades out, which kinda reduces my chances at prophecy as a career. However, demand for iPad 2s has been going through the roof, and analysts peg Q2 2011 iPad sales at anywhere from 5 million-ish to nearly 9 million.

platform market share asks all of the wrong questions
Posted by: joshdean 2011-04-14 02:58:15 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
Richard, you need to read Andy Zaky's article "Why Apple Investors Shouldn't Sweat Android" very carefully.
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/04/11/why-apple-investors-shouldnt-sweat-android/

Android in the tablet space has several issues...
Posted by: Ratty 2011-04-13 05:26:27 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
Firstly Honeycomb is not currently ready. Yes it is shipping on some devices but it was certainly the biggest criticism of the Xoom when it came out.

Secondly the tablet market is not the phone market. Yes Samsung have managed to find someone who will cough up some cash for a contract based sale but a customer who already has a mobile phone is really going to sell his soul for another device? $200 off the price of a device sounds good - but it is smoke and mirrors - the thing costs more in the long run when you factor in the contract. With the iPad you can turn the "contract" on and off when required.

The only way that Android will gain traction in this space is a race to the bottom. Yes they will sell tons - but will they make money? Money that they can re-invest in guaranteeing supply chains and developing more categories.

It seems a shame that once Apple hits a winning formula that all the others then take it easy and just copy... Wouldn't it be better if they were actually doing something else? Something different. Something that moved the world forward?
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.