Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Why Netflix's Lousy On-Demand Library Is Beating iTunes and Everyone Else

See Full Story

For a company that's been criticized for hanging onto an old-school movie rental business -- DVDs and Blu-ray disks -- Netflix seems to be surviving just fine. A year ago, Netflix stock traded for less than $70 per share, while today it's been up well over $200. Sure, it seemed to have taken a hit with the news that Facebook might start streaming movie rentals, but it's not like Netflix is laying down so competitors can kick the company around: Netflix is said to be working on acquiring the rights to an original TV series called "House of Cards."

Why Netflix, iTunes, ect don't work for me?
They're not true on demand services. And that's why torrents are still so popular.

The record and film industries have tried every trick they can think of to keep the old business model alive - and that's why we have Netflix, etc.
Despite this, Torrenting is as popular as ever.
There ar emillions of people out there who don't like cinemas, don;t want to fight the crowds in the high street to buy a DVD, and don;t want to pay the stupid amount of money they charge for those DVD's.
So they torrent. Interstellar cam out yesterday? cool, I'll go download it rather than waiting weeks for it or sitting next to some irritating a-hole in the cinema with his big bag of noisy chips/crisps.

Netflix works for me
Posted by: Roy99 2011-03-17 14:30:08 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
Great article. Here are the reasons Netflix works for me.
- If I haven't seen it, it in new content to me. Most of the critics of Neflix don't get this point. That goes for my kids too, there is enough content on Netflix for them.

- 24Hr or 48Hr rentals don't work for use. We are a busy family with two kids. I have rented movies on iTunes and 90% of the times I am not able to finish it. When my 4 year old daughter tells me that it is time for her show then believe me it is time for her show, my movie or show can wait. This is why I stopped renting on iTunes. It usually takes about 3 days for me to watch a 45 minutes show. At times I have seen 5 episodes in a day.

- I can watch Netflix on any device at any time.

- It is dirt cheap. I am willing to pay up to $40 bucks for this service.

-And no I don't care for the latest and greatest stuff. Like I said if I haven't seen it, it is pretty new to me.

Netflix works for me
Posted by: Roy99 2011-03-17 12:49:47 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
Great article. Here are the reasons Netflix works for me.
- If I haven't seen it, it's new content to me. Most of the critics of Neflix don't get this point. That goes for my kids too, there is enough content on Netflix for them.

- 24Hr or 48Hr rentals don't work for use. We are a busy family with two kids. I have rented movies on iTunes and 90% of the times I am not able to finish it. When my 4 year old daughter tells me that it is time for her show then believe me it is time for her show, my movie or show can wait. This is why I stopped renting on iTunes. It usually takes about 3 days for me to watch a 45 minutes show. At times I have seen 5 episodes in a day.

- I can watch Netflix on any device at any time.

- It is dirt cheap. I am willing to pay up to $40 bucks for this service.

-And no I don't care for the latest and greatest stuff. Like I said if I haven't seen it, it is pretty new to me.
Jump to:
Which Big Tech CEO that testified at the Congressional Antitrust Hearing on July 29 is the most trustworthy?
Jeff Bezos of Amazon
Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook
Sundar Pichai of Google
Tim Cook of Apple
All of them are equally trustworthy to some extent.
None of them are trustworthy whatsoever.
Women in Tech