Get the E-Commerce Minute Newsletter from the E-Commerce Times » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Digital River - Talk to the Experts
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Just How Much Juice Will Apple Wring From iPad 2?

Re: Just How Much Juice Will Apple Wring From iPad 2?
Posted by: Richard Adhikari 2011-03-09 07:23:08
See Full Story

Although Apple is gearing up for another run on its stores Friday when the iPad 2 goes on sale, Cupertino is not without its reasons to worry. The iPad 2 received mixed reviews when it was first revealed last week, and it's questionable whether the improvements made to the device will be enough to drive very strong sales. Further, there's speculation that application developers may have to rework their iPad apps to take advantage of the iPad 2's dual-core processor and improved graphics, a move which may send some into the Android camp.

Apple marketing is key to their success
Posted by: moekuan 2011-03-09 10:14:56 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
For Android tablets, the most compelling competitor to the iPad 2 is the Xoom. But one look at the recent TV commercials between Apple and Motorola speaks volumes about who the devices are targeted at.

The minimalist sophistication of Apple's advertising is second to none. Geeks to grandmothers fall instantly in love with these devices because they are presented in such an effective manner with massive cross-appeal.

The recent Xoom ads defy comprehension. A guy picks up a Xoom and it turns into a futuristic spaceship, with the guy playing a hardcore space shooter videogame. The colors are all dark red and metallic. Only a spec geek, probably male, would find any appeal in such an ad. Forget the female gender and the elderly, both of which are significant consumers of iPads.

When will the iPad competitors get it? Apple is selling the EXPERIENCE of using an iPad. The others are just bantering about who has more ram. Just ask your average consumer about ram. If the tablet runs fast, it runs fast. They don't care that another is faster, only that the tablet they are using is fast enough.

Looks like the Xoom at least will be playing catchup till the next gen...

Run for the hills...
Posted by: ViewRoyal 2011-03-09 08:37:07 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
Chicken Little warns us that Apple's sky is falling.

The Post PC Era
Posted by: DWall 2011-03-09 07:58:49 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
There are a couple of things that get lost in the "Android vs. iOS" debate and saying that the iPad 2 should be the iPad 1.5 is just silly.

"Android vs. iOS"
Android is not a phone or a tablet. It's an operating system that runs on "someone else's" hardware. Android doesn't make a tablet or a phone. iOS only runs on Apple devices like iPads, iPods and iPhones. If you were counting the number of iOS enabled devices on Earth it's doubtful Android is remotely close. That said, neither Motorola, HTC, LG or Samsung have sold more "Android" devices than Apple has sold iPhones. That is to say, individually none of these companies has sold more handsets than Apple. So you can argue that Android has overtaken iOS but you can't say any of the individual companies has overtaken Apple.

Tablets...
I have been lucky enough to have spent time with a number of the Android "based" tablets, including the Motorola Xoom and I have spent quality time with the iPad. You can dice it up anyway you want to, average consumers are looking at that $799US price tag with out a contract and the $599US with a contract that will likely cost around $1200US by the end of the two years and they're not interested. Entry level iPad 2 $499US. To get close to that price Xoom buyers would have to opt for the 599US two year contract with Verizon, putting the cost of Xoom ownership, at the end of the contract, at about $1800US; that's INSANE!

Moving target.

When I was a kid, I came home and I was upset about a kid picking on me. I told my mom I was gonna kick his butt the next day. She said, "just remember he's not going to just stand there and let you kick his butt..." To think that Apple or any company doesn't understand technology is a moving target, is crazy talk. I have read so may articles about how "Google is going to kick Apples butt." I like what Google has done with Android, I'm excited to see HP enter with WebOS, I'm glad Microsoft made a mobile OS that's actually cool and functional. But folks if you think Apple is going to stand still while (Insert name here) just kicks their butt...

Just my opinion

The sky is falling. I repeat: The sky is falling.
Posted by: macspirit 2011-03-09 07:57:56 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
Apple will sell every iPad 2 it manufactures, and it will sell them very, very quickly. What could the iPad have had that it should have had that it does not now have that would have made it a true '2nd generation' product? Alien technology? Neural implants? On the one hand it sounds like they're damned, because the hardware spec's aren't impressive enough...not a big enough performance jump. And on the other hand, they're damned because they've changed the hardware to make it faster...making life 'difficult' for developers, who will likely revolt and jump ship to another platform that...oh yeah...is likely to be using very much the same hardware...either right now, or when their products finally ship. Man, am I glad I'm not a journalist.
Jump to:
Which best describes what you think about requiring Covid-19 "vaccine passports?"
It will prompt more people to take the vaccine to help end the virus.
It will lessen restrictions and provide more freedom for individuals.
It is a violation of privacy and civil liberties.
It will lead to stigma and discrimination.
It will encourage counterfeits and other criminal activities.