Get the E-Commerce Minute Newsletter from the E-Commerce Times » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Dragon for Mac Provides Deft Dictation

Re: Dragon for Mac Provides Deft Dictation
Posted by: John P. Mello Jr. 2011-02-28 12:28:09
See Full Story

For many years, the speech recognition world for PCs and Macs was split between Dragon Naturally Speaking for Windows and MacSpeech for OS X. That changed earlier this year when Nuance, the maker of Dragon, bought its Mac rival. Both companies continued to produce their programs that allow spoken words to be turned into computer text until recently, when the combo released their first joint effort for the Apple market, Dragon Dictate for the Mac. I have plenty of savvy with Naturally Speaking, and I can say that the Mac software can hold its own with its PC cousin.

Worth the Jump in Price for the Law and/or Mecdial Versions?
Posted by: luhnlaw 2011-02-28 12:45:54 In reply to: John P. Mello Jr.
I've been eying this product for a while, but am not sure the whopping price difference between the Dictate for Mac version ($199) and the pricier MacSpeech Dictate Legal ($599) is worth the jump to the latter. (The price jump is the same for MacSpeech Dictate Medical.) Near as I can tell, "Legal" comes bundled with MacSpeech Scribe ($149 stand-alone), allowing you to use your iPhone to dictate letters, memos, etc., then open them for automatic transcription. (Not sure, either, how "Sribe" offers worthwhile advantages over Dragon Dictation (a free app from the App Store). I would love to see some posts that comment on these questions.
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.