Get the E-Commerce Minute Newsletter from the E-Commerce Times » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: On the Envronment and Human Rights, Is Apple Just Blowing Smoke?

Re: On the Envronment and Human Rights, Is Apple Just Blowing Smoke?
Posted by: Chris Maxcer 2011-01-25 07:49:38
See Full Story

Last week, the Institute of Public and Environmental Affairs in China put Apple at the bottom of a 29-company list ranking corporate responses to pollution and safety concerns at their factories, and my first reaction was, "What? The bottom? Really?" I thought Apple was the new darling of Greenpeace. I thought Apple was working to remove toxic chemicals and processes from its products. With most every new press release, Apple points out how its products are greener than previous products. It seems to be trying to head in the right direction.

Death benefits too generous may be cause of suicides?
Posted by: Kozlowski 2011-02-01 03:54:01 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
While I have been a frequent visitor to Shenzhen and environs over several decades, this information comes to me second hand from people I know that are reading the local Chinese press reports. What they are telling me is that the death benefits paid out by Foxconn are quite high and that a young person who might already be predisposed to such action might do so in the expectation that it will help their families.

On the other hand, Foxconn & other Apple subcontractors are the best of the best. Getting a job there is in fact a dream come true. There are long lines of workers hoping for jobs at every single factory I have ever visited. That they live in dormitories that are crowded is not inhuman, nor is it different from what they are used to.

Viewing things through our cultural lens is the very definition of cultural imperialism. And we are very guilty of it. China is getting rich off of selling their labor at $2 dollars a day. Its not the $2 dollars - its that they can save nearly all of it. Its that living is incredibly cheap in comparison because they still have a largely agrarian economy. However that $2 dollars a day is creating a middle class with cell phones, motorbikes, microwave ovens and most of all, hope for a better future.

Our incessant hand wringing over their well being must either amuse or anger them. Im not sure which.

The Supplier Treadmill
Posted by: Rodel 2011-01-26 08:04:03 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
Very well balanced opinion sir. May the powers that be take head.

Apple wears a bullseye.
Posted by: SteveWebb 2011-01-25 07:54:19 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
I looked up world suicide statistics. The suicide rate at the iPhone factories is LOWER than the suicide rate for China as a whole. The suicide rate for China is LOWER than the suicide rate for South Korea. I wonder what the suicide rate is at Samsung and HTC?
Jump to:
Which best describes what you think about requiring Covid-19 "vaccine passports?"
It will prompt more people to take the vaccine to help end the virus.
It will lessen restrictions and provide more freedom for individuals.
It is a violation of privacy and civil liberties.
It will lead to stigma and discrimination.
It will encourage counterfeits and other criminal activities.