Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Apple to Devs: No Half-Baked Goods in the Mac App Store

Re: Apple to Devs: No Half-Baked Goods in the Mac App Store
Posted by: Richard Adhikari 2010-12-03 12:40:00
See Full Story

Apple released the latest build of Mac OS X 10.6.6 Thursday and also announced new restrictions on application developers who want to sell their wares on the upcoming Mac App Store. It has barred developers from offering demos, trial versions or betas of their products on the Mac App Store. Apple has also issued instructions on file system usage requirements and the creation of custom controls for Mac apps. Apple posted the instructions for app devs on its developer site. All apps submitted for review for the Mac App Store must be the fully functional.

Android Market
Posted by: aoeu 2010-12-03 18:45:25 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
Android Market is more Dev friendly, and with this news from Apple its a pretty sweet place. Devs can post Beta and have user works out bugs and report back. also on the Android market users can download trials of something to see if they wanna buy. And if they do buy something there is a refund process where by uninstalling the app with in 24 hours gets you a automatic refund, great feature. No wonder Android is kicking Apples butt.

LOL
Posted by: psiclone 2010-12-04 09:21:44 In reply to: aoeu
"No wonder Android is kicking Apples butt."

Really? Based on what fact? I'd love to compare profit margins and units shipped.

That's a Windows mentality
Posted by: psiclone 2010-12-03 16:07:56 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
This is all a Windows mentality. The main advantage of developing for Apple is that you have one OS, and various machines that are very standardized. You don't have the same testing issues you do with Windows and the large multitude of machine configurations. Thus, there really is little excuse for developers not being able to test their stuff. That's simply a cop-out, so as not to have to hire in-house testers, etc. Companies have gotten too spoiled by having users test their stuff for free, while charging the same users for the end product they helped to produce.

Mac App Store Restrictions
Posted by: akcoyote 2010-12-03 14:23:41 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
Seems to me that Apple could segregate 'beta' apps into a clearly labeled, complete with dire warnings, 'sandbox' on the app store.

Prominently featuring a tutorial on how to restore your Mac to factory defaults if things go bad would be a warning in itself. They could even provide a printable form complete with the price $$$$ for Apple to restore it for you.

This should keep the newbies and adventuresome, but ill prepared folks from entering this area while letting developers have access to those prepared to deal with beta software.

Seems like a win-win-win solution which would help avoid the premature release of apps.

Apple equals big brother
Posted by: jescott418 2010-12-03 13:57:02 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
So I guess Apple has pretty much set the record straight on their App Store. In my own opinion I really don't think Apple will get a lot of takers.
I really am thinking twice about even staying with Mac's. I was fine with IOS on my iPod Touch and a device like the iPad is better without a full OS X which would just slow it down like a Netbook. But on a Mac? Not for me.
Jump to:
Which best describes what you think about requiring Covid-19 "vaccine passports?"
It will prompt more people to take the vaccine to help end the virus.
It will lessen restrictions and provide more freedom for individuals.
It is a violation of privacy and civil liberties.
It will lead to stigma and discrimination.
It will encourage counterfeits and other criminal activities.