Explore Newsletters from ECT News Network » View Samples | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
Digital River - Talk to the Experts
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Adobe Huffing and Puffing to Push Out Flash for Macbook Air

Re: Adobe Huffing and Puffing to Push Out Flash for Macbook Air
Posted by: Richard Adhikari 2010-11-19 09:23:51
See Full Story

Adobe is in the process of optimizing Flash for the Mac, and the project has already reached the beta stage, CEO Shantanu Narayen announced at the Web 2.0 summit in San Francisco earlier this week. He indicated that Apple's problems with Flash were Cupertino's fault, saying that Adobe didn't get early access to hardware acceleration. "To some extent, it's not that Flash isn't efficient, it's that Apple simply won't allow Flash to be efficient," Dmitriy Molchanov, an analyst at the Yankee Group, told MacNewsWorld.

Flash not "proprietary"?
Posted by: ViewRoyal 2010-11-19 10:27:11 In reply to: Richard Adhikari
"The two are battling for developers, Narayen said. He also accused Apple of wanting to keep technology closed and proprietary."

Hello!?

Adobe Flash is and has always been proprietary software.

Apple has chosen to go with free and open-source HTML5 technology as an alternative to Adobe's Flash proprietary Web software. People using Mac OS X do have the option of installing and using Flash on their computers.

The statement that Apple wants to keep Web technology closed and proprietary by using HTML5 (while Flash is being painted as NOT proprietary) is contradictory and laughable!

Most people refrain from installing or using Flash on their computers because it is such a resource-hog, and slows down other processes. This isn't as big of a deal on powerful desktop computers (but it is still noticeable) as it is on less powerful mobile computing devices which can be rendered almost unusable while running Flash.

Flash software has been in existence for 14 years, since it was introduced in 1996. If people at Adobe are still saying that they are trying to optimize Flash to function more efficiently than it does now, I wouldn't hold my breath expecting to see that happen.
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.