Get the ECT News Network Weekly Newsletter » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: iBooks Sits on Top of the iPhone E-Reader Heap

Re: iBooks Sits on Top of the iPhone E-Reader Heap
Posted by: Chris Maxcer 2010-11-08 17:46:49
See Full Story

In two weeks, I've read more novels on my iPhone 4 than I have in the last 6 months -- on purpose, and not because I'm writing about electronic books right now. As I stumbled into this, I was pretty sure I wasn't going to care that much about them. I downloaded an iBook sample of the first Lee Child novel about Jack Reacher, a former military police major who drifts across America and somehow manages to get tangled up in all sorts of trouble that requires fists, elbows and guns to get out of.

Try Stanza
Posted by: macbtl 2010-11-08 18:01:04 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
You missed at least one major e-reader for iPhone, that being the free Stanza app. I find Apple's iBooks interface too slow (page turn lag time is annoying, especially when multiplied by the 1000s of page turns in an eBook), but Stanza is snappier. iBooks takes too long to load up, too. It always opens to an empty bookshelf for a few seconds, letting the user panic briefly (or at least wait...), as all the books appear to be gone. Like iBooks, Stanza is more seamless than Kindle or B&N (no need to leave the app to get books). Lots of public domain and commercial library sources are linked directly, so finding/downloading content is simple and fast. The interface is clean and simple, but nicely customizable. Font size and screen brightness are adjustable with gestures -- no need to tap icons, move sliders, and such. The quick and easy screen brightness adjustment (up/down swipes) is very convenient when reading in bed, for example. I don't see any advantages to iBooks when compared to Stanza.
Jump to:
If my employer requires me to return to the company's office full-time to perform my job, I will...
Agree, because I like my job regardless of where I perform my duties.
Comply, because I can't afford to lose my current job.
Go with the flow, but start looking for different employment.
Resign immediately, so I can dedicate all of my time to find a job that better suits my needs.
Try to negotiate a hybrid work from home / work in office arrangement with my employer.