Get the E-Commerce Minute Newsletter from the E-Commerce Times » View Sample | Subscribe
Welcome Guest | Sign In
ECTNews.com
E-Commerce Times TechNewsWorld CRM Buyer LinuxInsider
Discussions

MacNewsWorld Talkback

ECT News Community   »   MacNewsWorld Talkback   »   Re: Why Apple Can Afford to Wait on 4G

Re: Why Apple Can Afford to Wait on 4G
Posted by: Chris Maxcer 2010-10-12 07:48:45
See Full Story

Once again, rumors -- sparked by stories that don't actually cite anyone other than sources briefed on the matter, all of whom remain anonymous -- that Verizon will offer the iPhone by early next year are kicking around. Between business heavyweights like The Wall Street Journal and technology watcher TechCrunch, the rumor is now running so loud that it's almost taken as fact. This time around, though, there's an interesting new twist: The supposed Verizon iPhone will purportedly not be designed to run on Verizon's fast, new 4G LTE network.

Great point
Posted by: CMaxcer 2010-10-12 18:44:14 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
Now that's a great point -- and certainly a wild card. I know I'm at my own personal saturation point on pricing -- I'm unwilling to pay more even if speeds could be significantly increased. (Besides, 3G right now is pretty good to me.)
--Chris

Elephant in da houz.
Posted by: SteveWebb 2010-10-12 09:14:24 In reply to: Chris Maxcer
All the pundits are ignoring the elephant, because they can't see it yet; Apple can not afford to do that. How much is a 4G data plan going to cost consumers: the same as 3G, or more?

Are you willing to bet that Verizon will price 4G at "popular prices"? Is 4G going to come with an "unlimited" data plan? Do you think Apple is willing to bet the future of the iPhone without knowing the answers to these questions?

I think AT&T has set the stage for THEIR 4G iPhone with the iPad data plan: $25 for the first 2 GigaBytes and $10 per GigaByte after that - without a contract! The only thing better would be a straight $10 per GigaByte with ROLLOVER!

I am willing to bet that nobody is going to offer 4G with an "unlimited" data plan. So far, nobody has a "limited" data plan as attractive as AT&T's iPad deal. I think Apple is going to wait for that to change.
Jump to:
Which best describes what you think about requiring Covid-19 "vaccine passports?"
It will prompt more people to take the vaccine to help end the virus.
It will lessen restrictions and provide more freedom for individuals.
It is a violation of privacy and civil liberties.
It will lead to stigma and discrimination.
It will encourage counterfeits and other criminal activities.